Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on preparing for slam

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on preparing for slam

Im in the process of filling pool back up from partial drain. Once filled back up, and if im lucky enough that my cya is in levels for a slam, im curious to how much bleach ill need on hand...I know ill be needing a lot, but start with 5,10, etc jugs??? For ill be running to the store here in a bit..
    24x16 doughboy Summerville..22" Waterway "sand" 1.5 HP 2sp motor..Misty Falls liner, and wedding cake stairs..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on preparing for slam

Gonna depend on how bad it is as to how long it takes. Depending on your CYA level, it COULD take 4 or 5 gallons just to initally reach SLAM level. Get a dozen to start.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have about one more hour and pool will be full, and then I can turn the pump back on..wish me luck on lower cya level..
    24x16 doughboy Summerville..22" Waterway "sand" 1.5 HP 2sp motor..Misty Falls liner, and wedding cake stairs..

4. Back To Top    #4

actually filled up a lot quicker than I thought..pool is full and pump is on....how long before checking new cya levels? 30-45 minutes?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mepcards View Post
    actually filled up a lot quicker than I thought..pool is full and pump is on....how long before checking new cya levels? 30-45 minutes?
    Yeah. And brush some to get some cross currents. Picture adding creamer to a really huge cup of coffee.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Awwww...............let's make him wait 3 hours!......(just kiddin')
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

geeez..thanks woodyp...don't you think ive been thru enough already..lol

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes I do, and you might as well laugh to help ease it.

9. Back To Top    #9

if my cya level is still not where it needs to be, and I have to drain more, my laughter will turn into full blown cussing....wait, ive been cussing already thru this ordeal..lmao

10. Back To Top    #10

Just keep it off the forum!

11. Back To Top    #11

cya testing is complete...I mixed half pool water and half tap....I was able to fill the tube all the way to top with out spilling over, and I could still faintly see the black dot...now I know I need to times that by 2, so assume im close to fifty? since 30 is the lowest on my kit? I did it back n forth a few times, and also had the wife look..she could make out dot too when the tube was completely filled

12. Back To Top    #12

cya testing is complete...I mixed half pool water and half tap....I was able to fill the tube all the way to top with out spilling over, and I could still faintly see the black dot...now I know I need to times that by 2, so assume im close to fifty? since 30 is the lowest on my kit? I did it back n forth a few times, and also had the wife look..she could make out dot too when the tube was completely filled
    Congratulations! You no longer need to use the dilution method to test CYA! That's a BIG improvement.

You can run the test with 1:1 pool water and R-0013 to get the CYA figure. If you have any CYA reagent left, that is...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a little from my crappy kit, and a little left on second bottle from taylor kit..can I use both together just to get the reading?

14. Back To Top    #14

I have a little from my crappy kit, and a little left on second bottle from taylor kit..can I use both together just to get the reading?
    If they have the same number, yes. If the other kit is some other brand, I don't know if they're the same stuff. Do they have the same directions for the CYA test?

15. Back To Top    #15

its the hth 5 way kit..same directions...I used both and just had enough....I did it over and over and tried to use the average...I have to say its 60 for my cya..one time I swore it was between 50 and 60 mark, then another time higher than 60...I did like 5 times and for the most it was around 60....drain more again??

16. Back To Top    #16

No. The season's about over already! Get SLAMMING. The initial dose will be a little higher than it would be at a lower CYA, but I'll bet the replenishment stays about the same.

17. Back To Top    #17

I need to test both ph and chlorine first....do I need to worry about ta and ch at the moment?

18. Back To Top    #18

I need to test both ph and chlorine first....do I need to worry about ta and ch at the moment?
    Only worry about TA if it's below 50 and pH is off the bottom of the scale. Otherwise, no. And with a vinyl liner, low Calcium will never be a problem.

19. Back To Top    #19

ok cool..ill just test everything and post my readings....also im going to use the 10ml this time and only 1 scoop of powder

20. Back To Top    #20

here are my readings..plz conform I did it correctly with chlorine test

TA=100
    PH=7.6
    CH=220
    FOR THE CHLORINE I USED THE 10ML MARK WITH 1 SCOOP OF POWDER...IT TURNED PINK LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSE TOO, AND IT TOOK 12 DROPS TO CHANGE IT TO CLEAR..DIVED THAT BY 2? FC=6 ?? THEN WHEN I ADDED A 5 DROP OF R0003, THE WATER STAYED CLEAR....SO "0" FOR CC?

- - - Updated - - -

SORRY IT TOOK 13 DROPS FROM PINK TO CLEAR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast