Liquidator installed below pool level

Well I am out of commission for a few days. I did the acid wash and was putting things back together like Miranda had suggested when 1st, I lost the float valve ball ...... no biggie, I will go on without it ...... 2nd as I was putting the out float valve in, I noticed it wasn't tightening ..... the nipple had broken off. So, I will have to wait until I can call HASA and inquire about parts. I hope the wife doesn't notice. :)
Bruce, what kind of filter do you have to trap the WS?
And yes, Miranda, the wife is in the pool with a fresh Margarita and of course she is more beautiful than the day we met. :)))
Now, it is time for me to hop in with her. Temps in the 90's and high humidity here in Pa. A nice pool day ....... if you don't count how many times I will think about the LQ while I am in there.

It is an old screen filter that I had from a Polaris Dichlor feeder. Thought I'd try it since I had it! Crappy iPhone pic attached.

Attachments

• LQ Filter 001.JPG
    LQ Filter 001.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 125
Update:
Going on 5 days now with the latest configuration. I have had ONE overflow on day 3. (Normal for me 1 to 3 overflows per day). I immediately took the setup apart and found my check valve allowing air both ways. I took it apart and found a couple grains of grit (looked like zeobrite) inside the check valve. I wiped it away and it worked fine afterwards. This is the only time I have ever found the valve failed, or found any debris inside, so I figure it is one of two things:

A. The debris in the valve is an isolated incident
B. Proof that debris in the check valve is the cause of overflows, but that it "self clears" after overflow but before I inspect it.

"A" would fit with the laborious theory on check valve positioning, since before moving the valve, I seldom got through a day without an overflow. "B" would explain the intermittance of the problem.

Nevertheless, I added a "filter" inline. I went shopping for something all plastic and cheap. I found these at Northern Tool $2.60 for a pack of 5. They are designed for paintgun cups and they fit perfectly INSIDE the 3/8" ID soft tubing. (I used needlenose pliers) Barnyard, are you up and running yet?
[attachment=0:vtbwjrir]2f5b_12.jpg[/attachment:vtbwjrir]

Attachments

• 2f5b_12.jpg
    2f5b_12.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 106
No, I'm not up yet. I still have to get a new float valve from HASA.
What you found was exactly what I found in my check valves. just a couple of grains of white looking grit. If the insides weren't black, I probably wouldn't have noticed them, but it seems it is enough to cause the valve to stick open. I don't use zeobrite though. I think it was the infamous WS, at least for me. That is a good idea with the paint gun filters. I will try that. Did you put it immediately after the tank? I'll be interested to see how this works. You sure have put a lot of work into something that is supposed to eliminate some of the work. :)

Yes, I put the filter immediately after the tank, between the tank and the check valve. It is working GLORIOUSLY now, I have no complaints. It literally has become a trouble free pool. I am also using less chlorine than ever before. I am looking forward to seeing your results when you get the new parts. Have you considered borating your pool? I didn't pay much attention to the threads on white stuff since I don't generally have it, but I recall there was a theory that borates prevented it. I LOVE my borates.

Another aside, I have also started running a homemade acid feeder (per Mark's design on this thread) so I don't know if that may be helping too since my running pH is lower. homemade-acid-or-chlorine-injection-system-t4174.html

I started looking at adding Borates, but may wait until next season. My Ph was at 7.5 when I was having all the trouble with the LQ, I now have it at 7.2 and am hoping that will help with the WS. At least that is what the LQ manual says.
I'll let yuou know how everything works out. I am happy to hear you are in good shape now.

Still going strong, no overflows! Two weeks ago I filled the liquidator with 8 gallons of 10% CL. My pool has been maintaining a constant 3-5ppm chlorine with NO tweaking or interfering from me at all. (Flow meter is at about 4, pump runs 12 hours/day) Today the CL finally ran empty, and I refilled it. 2 weeks on 8 gallons of CL is pretty amazing to me, considering the size of my pool and the fact that it has been sunny and in the 90's every day and the whole family has been swimming daily.

My CYA is only 20, and I planned to add more, but this is working so well, I may not do that. Thoughts?

That's great news. I think we have enough info to help people with the same issue in the future.

Given your location I'd bump the CYA up to 30 or 40 but you're having exceptionally low FC loss for your location. I have 40ppm CYA and lose about 3ppm FC per day. I had 50ppm CYA last year and lost 2ppm FC per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.