Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't maintain chlorine levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't maintain chlorine levels

For the first time ever my pool, since I opened it 5/15, is not maintaining chlorine. My stabilizer is a bit high but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I add chlorine via a chlorinator, by sprinkling granules around the pool and by putting tabs in the skimmers.

Nevertheless, the chlorine readings go down almost immediately after application.
    20,000 gallon IG plaster, 15 year old Anthony Sylvan, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Whisperflo 2 HP, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't maintain chlorine levels

Hi, welcome to TFP! How does the water look, crystal clear or a little hazy? Please post a current set of test results. This will help us troubleshoot your problem.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP. Good to have you aboard.

The format for communicating test results is described in "read before you post" (link in my signature)

Free tests from pool stores are seldom accurate, so you're going to want to have a Taylor K2006 or TFTestKits TF-100 test kit if you don't already have one. You will save back the cost quickly by using TFP methods to maintain your pool. If you don't already have one of these, post whatever results you can, but be sure to indicate the source of the tests.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

If it were me, I would stop using granular and pucks at this stage. Your CYA at 40 PPM (if the pool store is correct) is fine, so no need to add any more until the problem is diagnosed. I would order a TF100 test kit here TFTestkits.net. This kit, or a Taylor K2006, will give you the FAS-DPD chlorine test you need to take charge of your pool chemistry. I have no affiliation with TF test kits. You won't regret adding the XL option and a speed stirrer.

In the meantime, I'd add a full 121 oz or 128 oz jug of 8.25% bleach (not scented or splashless) which will provide 4 PPM FC. Zero FC is not safe for swimming and algae is likely getting started.

And then half to 3/4 of a jug each day until the test kit arrives. (2 to 3 PPM per day)

Are you testing chlorine yourself now? If so, what test kit do you have? You may be able to use the 5 PPM color match to judge whether or not you're close to 4 PPM and let us know how long the FC is holding up.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Joel,

I deleted your water analysis sheet because it contained personally identifiable information, a bad thing to readily post on the web and TFP discourages it.

For the benefit of others, it is a Leslie's printout with the following results
    FC 0
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 120
    CYA 40

Pool store analysis is notoriously incorrect. In this case if you consistantly chlorinate with tabs and powdered shock I am surprised with the he low CYA.

As others will point out, taking control of your pool and self testing with a reliable test kit is the first step. The fact that the CYA is above "0" and you can't keep chlorine in the water tells me something is growing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I ordered the test kit recommended above. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered the test kit. Thank you.

I will try the bleach and report back. Do I apply this directly or mix with water and then distribute?

I am testing chlorine now myself with test strips. When I add chlorine I test and see high levels of chlorine but it seems to go down again very quickly (under an hour).
    20,000 gallon IG plaster, 15 year old Anthony Sylvan, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter, Whisperflo 2 HP, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is a page about chemicals and how to add them to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Here it the ABC of TFP care! This is the corner stone of what we do here and why.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Added the bottle of bleach. Chlorine levels rose significantly. Tested again in 1 hour (test strips) and chlorine was gone.

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad to hear you ordered the test kit. We'll have to wait for the test kit to get started, but there's only a few possibilities. Better experts will chime in wherever I'm wrong.

1. There's an algae bloom underway, and the bleach was consumed neutralizing it.
    2. It's less common, but possible you have CYA-eating bacteria, that convert CYA to ammonia. The ammonia will consume the free chlorine very quickly. The puzzle is that CYA is usually zero if this condition exists, but maybe Leslie's result was off (this is the other thing we need the proper kit for)
    3. If CYA is zero, and your tests were done in full sun, FC would drop from 4 to 2 in about a half-hour, and then from 2 to 1 in the next half hour, so you should have detected some on the test-strip. It sounds like the test strips are fresh because you did detect FC after adding the bleach.

We've yet to hear what your water looks like. It could be clear under these conditions, but more likely a bit cloudy and whitish, bluish, or green. Could you describe it?

This may not prove helpful, but please pour another gallon in after the sun is off the pool with your pump running and do a test 10 minutes after adding the bleach, and then again 10 minutes after that. If you have lots of strips, another at 30 minutes and/or 1 hour might be helpful. When you get your kit, you won't need the strips anymore.

When you get a chance, please add your pool finish, pump HP, and filter type to your signature. Not relevant yet, but it will be later. Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #11

Let us know if and when you detect any "motel pool smell" - the smell comes from chloramines and it might help us understand the situation better. Chlorine itself is odorless, so the smell most people call "pool smell" or "chlorine smell" is a helpful indicator.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you everyone for your input.

My water is crystal clear. My finish is plaster, I have a whisper flow pump (need to check horsepower) and a separate pump for the Polaris. My filter uses DE and I back-washed this past Saturday just to see if that, and adding some fresh water, would help. It did not.

I detect no unusual smell.

13. Back To Top    #13

More here on how to update your signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for describing the pool and updating your signature. A gallon jug of 8.25% bleach will add 4 PPM FC each day until the test kit arrives. With reliable numbers you'll be able to get started on solving the chlorine mystery. In the meantime, if you want to, take a look at a few links here that should be helpful later on. A lot will be old hat to you but they helped me get the TFPC methods and lingo.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    These three cover TFPC water chemistry methods really well and are quite concise and well written

As for taking charge of your own reliable testing, this link has videos of a few of the tests
    https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main

And this one has the full written instructions and some tips and tricks as well
    Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

15. Back To Top    #15

June 9 2016 test.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still waiting for my test kit but here are some updated test results. I have been adding the bleach as recommended by everyone here and for the first time this morning the chlorine levels remained high after application the evening before. I will test again this afternoon.

16. Back To Top    #16

Phosphates is a scare tactic to sell you products you really don't need.

When you get your test kit I think an OCLT will prove something is growing in the water. Read up on the SLAM and get ready. With a little luck a clear water SLAM will go quickly. I had to do one last year and it was only 4 days.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

17. Back To Top    #17

Taylor K-2006 arrived. I have one question: For the Free and Combined Chlorine Test its says
    "NOTE: For 1 drop=0.2 ppm, use 25 mL sample. For 1 drop = 0.5 ppm, use 10 mL sample".

Any idea which "drop" I should use?

Also, my chlorine is holding. I occasionally smell that "motel pool" smell but is it possible my problem is resolved?

18. Back To Top    #18

For everything we do, the 10 ml sample for free chlorine (FC) is the one to use. If you use 7 drops to cause the sample to change back from pink to clear, it's 7 times 0.5 = 3.5 PPM. Post all your numbers when you've finished the testing. Someone will be here to interpret and let you know if anything is needed.

The best way to find out if there's an issue is to do the "OCLT" Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

19. Back To Top    #19

SWEET! Lets rock! Run your test and post them like this:

FC
    CC
    PH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

I can't wait to see your results!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

FC 5
    CC. .5
    PH. 7.4
    TA. 130
    CH. 370
    CYA. OVER 100

taylor k-2006

- - - Updated - - -

I know test strips aren't favored but I will try to post in the event the clarify my readings with the Taylor test kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast