Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates

Hello all,
    Very excited for the season! I have decided to add borates to the pool (also a heater, but that is a different topic) I started yesterday AM with test results of FC 2, PH 7.2, TA 70 CYA 30. I have reall y gotten comfortable with maintenance, thanks to this site, but am a little intimidated by new processes so I decided to add the chemicals in 2 batches. According to PoolMath I needed 16 boxes of borax and 4 jugs of acid. I added 1/2 of that and this morning ran a test. Tesults are PH 7.3 and Borates 30, TA 70. My qustion: is more better? Should I add the rest for the 40ppm goal? -Melinda
    AG AquaLeader 21x43 Oval 54" deep. Hayward 2speed 2HP pump,Hayward 350,000 BTU NG Heater, Cartridge filter. Since August 2012. TFT 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates

Good morning! We recommend borates in the 30-50 range. Since borates are added for comfort and for their mild anti-algae properties, you could "test drive" borates at this level for a week or two and see if it gives you the results you where looking for. You may like it just where it is!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Easier to add boric acid pellets from DudaDiesel next time.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for responding. I still have the other half of the dose....I am grateful for the relative ease of the process. No crazy surprises. Thanks again.
    AG AquaLeader 21x43 Oval 54" deep. Hayward 2speed 2HP pump,Hayward 350,000 BTU NG Heater, Cartridge filter. Since August 2012. TFT 100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Thank you for responding. I still have the other half of the dose....I am grateful for the relative ease of the process. No crazy surprises. Thanks again.
    Actually, you get full credit for that. Rather than start throwing stuff in, you did some homework, tested very carefully and then dosed very carefully. That's a true TFP'r
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 to reading up on the process and understanding your pool and testing before adding chemicals instead of after! Nice job!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! All credit to you guys! It does pay to be methodical. After 7 years of keeping a marine tank in balance I figured with some help, I could get this. It is wonderful to have someplace reliable to turn to.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am surprised at the difference it has made in the amount of FC that holds in the pool. I have not needed to add any for 3 days and it has been sunny, not to mention the load of ciccadas swimming in the pool. Can this be accurate?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Strange I did not notice any change if FC consumption when I added Borates nor did I read anywhere to expect one. What level is your FC at and are you using the FAS-DPD or OTO test?
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

10. Back To Top    #10

Haven't done Borates in my pool since 2013. Obviously after 3 winters, my levels are virtually nil. I remember really liking the feel of the water. I want to do it again, but always nervous about messing with a well balanced pool. Also some new opinions on methods have been discussed that differ from what I was following 3 years ago. So I need to re educate myself.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

11. Back To Top    #11

I was under the impression that borates also helped to slow down a rise in pH. Is that not right? I'm thinking of adding them mainly for that reason.

Also, has anyone had a significantly bad experience using borates?
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

12. Back To Top    #12

50k Gallons. Dang! Let's see some photos! Your read on slower pH rise is correct based on my reading and education within this forum. But it also states that you will have add the same amount of MA to lower it, just less often. If that makes sense. I am still trying to understand that concept. Net, net by the end of the season I think that means I will use less overall MA to maintain. But if I have to go from say 7.8 back to 7.5 it's still the same of acid. But instead of having to do that every 3 or 4 days, maybe I will only have to once a week? (I'm just guessing on that time frame, but I think that's the concept). There's a sticky under the Chem 201 section. (this section actually). It's from last year, so I am following that advice as the most recent info available.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks. Missed the sticky.

My understanding is that pH will rise more slowly, but you will need more to bring the pH down when it does rise, giving the same total acid usage, roughly. I'm hoping it will be once a week rather than every other day as it is now.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Yup 50K deserves a picture.

I did not track my MA usage all that well before the borates but lately a month or so after I added around 45ppm borates, I am using 10 oz per day MA on a pool that was built in Oct. The main reason I have to do daily adds, is I like to keep it between 7.4 and 7.6. I can get 3 days out of it if I let it rise to 7.8 before pushing it down and I suspect when the plaster gets a bit older I could go longer but as I said I like it lower.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

15. Back To Top    #15

Not sure how to add a photo - first attempt:

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Sc...tml?sort=3&o=0

16. Back To Top    #16

You are close. Copy the IMG code next to the pic in PB and paste it in your post. That will embed the pic in your thread like this,

Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

attech, I use OTO test unless I need to test for more than 5ppm. Truthfully, I recheck with FAS-DPD when I feel uncertain about the yellow color chart- just to double check a reading of 3 or so. It seems accurate to that point, for my eyes.