Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FC 3.5
CC >.5
ph 7.6
CH 100
TA 100
CYA between 30 and 40, just a bit below the 30 line.

water is crystal clear....

From what I have been taught from this site, it would seem that these levels look good, and looks like I am well on my way to a Trouble Free Pool.

Anyone have aver any suggestion as this is my first time using the kit, and first time making my own decision on what I need to do.

Glad you have the test kit! Your numbers do look good, although I am watching your CC over .5 and so should you. That means there is some additional chlorine waiting to be oxidized by the sun. You might want to add a little more bleach to increase FC to about 6 -7 for today. Re-test CC later this evening to see if the CC lowered back down under .5. Other than that, you are doing great. Congrats on your new test kit.

Just for the record I have spent $9 maintaining my pool the last 2 weeks. $4.50 a week. Far cry from were I was last year at this time. My pool is crystal clear and I am feeling in control. Actually this might be the first time I am looking forward to having a pool, the pool came with the house we bought 2012...it was never on my list.

My heater manual doesn't specify vinyl, it only references Fiberglass, and a category "Other Pools" with a recommendation of 200 to 400 ppm. My vinyl liner manual calls for a minimum of 100 ppm, and doesn't state a maximum. I am considering raising to 200 ppm. Any cautions, or concerns?

You can leave it there and see how it trends over time. There's a good chance it will rise over time from refills, and the only way to remove it is draining or waiting for rainfall/overflow/splashout to take it down. Best thing is to use PoolMath (button at the top, and in my signature) to enter numbers and see what works for your pool. As long as you're within TFPs recommended ranges, everything will be safe and comfortable for swimming. (Enter volume at the top, and pool type at the bottom)

CH 100 and 200 are both fine, but if you want to satisfy the heater spec at 200, you'll find it helpful to get familiar with PoolMath. Enter your numbers and then vary the pH within the correct range. CSI is shown at the bottom, and is likely to stay within -0.3 to +0.3 at 200, which satisfies all the needs, including the heater specs. Or you might find it better to stay around 150 until your TA comes down a little. Just finer points, and Pat's advice to just add you and your family is the best of all! For a vinyl pool, CSI is only a concern if it's too high, and most pool owners never need to look at it as long as you keep the numbers within the guidelines for your pool's surface.

I did the Pool Math. The CSI is as follows.

CH 100 -.23. CH 150 -.07. CH 200 .04

I get pretty much a zero ( -.01) reading on my CSI when I have my CH at 175...which just happens to be the minimum requirement of the heater. Seems a no brainer to take the CH to 175.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.