Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy pool

Good Morning Everyone, I just want to say thank you, this is a great site and all of you have been very helpful, the levels in our pool have really changed for the better due all the information and replies from this site. We are still experiencing a little bit of cloudiness and I was just wanted to post the levels below any suggestion would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You, Bobby G

FC - 2
    TC - 2
    PH - 7.2
    Acid - 5
    Cya - 70
    TA -100
    15000 GALLON POOL/ VINYL LINER
    SWG/ T-3 HAYWARD TURRBO CELL
    PENTAIR CC200 CARTRIDGE FILTER SYSTEM
    HAYWARD SUPER PUMP 3/4 HP
    RAYPAK HEATER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy pool

Good morning Bobby. Your FC is quite low. Very low in fact for a CYA of 70 which means your FC should never have dropped below 5. I don't understand your acid number of 5, but all the others make sense and are what we look for. Based on your low FC and cloudiness, I suspect you have the beginning of an algae bloom starting which would require a "SLAM" (link below). If you aren't convinced, you can confirm by performing an overnight (OCLT) test. If you fail the OCLT, you need to SLAM. Something else you should certainly doing for today is increase the FC right away with regular bleach to about 10. That's not SLAM level but is healthy enough that it may help a bit. Depending upon your water condition and the OCLT results, you will know if you need to start a SLAM tomorrow or not. If you do, your pH is already adjusted to the perfect place for a SLAM. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Cloudiness combined with waaaay too little FC for your CYA level tells me you're on the verge of an algae bloom. Technically, you already are.... the cloudiness is bleached dead algae carcasses. It's time to SLAM. Add bleach to get to 28FC and brush brush brush. Keep the filter running all day. Keep that FC level up and you might head it off and be done in just a day. Even two days is faster than what it will take if you don't get ahead of it now and let it start going green.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, I have people coming over should I slam after they leave or now there will be children going in the pool also should I shut off the swg cell off during this process?

salt level on display 3400 ppm

Thanks, Bobby G
    15000 GALLON POOL/ VINYL LINER
    SWG/ T-3 HAYWARD TURRBO CELL
    PENTAIR CC200 CARTRIDGE FILTER SYSTEM
    HAYWARD SUPER PUMP 3/4 HP
    RAYPAK HEATER

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you guys, pool looks great

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, pool looks great