Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concerns about PoolSkim

1. Back To Top    #1

Concerns about PoolSkim

I finally got the thing completely hooked up. I had a few problems getting the pipes to stay together that were finally fixed.
    Now, I notice that my pressure has gone up by about 5 and the inline chlorinator which is turned to off is now full of water. Before, even when I had it on high it was never full of water!

I also wonder if the poolskim is creating aeration which is causing my pH to go up? I see little bubbles in the water around the net.

Thanks in advance for your input!
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concerns about PoolSkim

Your PH is rising? What are your test results? (what is the pic supposed to show?) IF you see bubbles, then yes there is aeration...I'm not sure why it would be caused by the poolskim.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry! The picture is supposed to show how the inline chlorinator is filled up with water. There are three tablets in there and the water line is higher.

I don't know why there are tiny bubbles coming up. Maybe when the water is sucked into the poolskim over the top of the bumper it is also drawing some air? I think I will remove the bumper and see what happens...

As for the pH, it was up to 8, but I think that was because I know I had too much aeration going on when I was trying to get the pieces of the poolskim to stay together (I stripped one of the screws and had to get a replacement and that took a couple of days). I've used muriatic acid to bring it back down to 7.5 and had no problem using the muriatic acid because my TA was high. Now my TA is perfect as well as my pH and I want to keep it that way! Of course, we finally got rain so who knows what is going on out there today. I ran out in the rain and dumped some chlorine in since that is the most important thing...right?

Am I even making any sense? We moved our 3 year old out of our bed a week ago and while he has been sleeping even better than he was with us, I have not slept at all! I alternate staring at his video monitor all night with staring at the 4 year olds wondering who is going to get up and wake up the other one...and they are in separate rooms. I've got to stop obsessing!

Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

You may need to backwash your filter. I noticed when mine is dirty, my poolskim bubbles. There shouldn't be any bubbles. It should look like a vortex.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies.

I backwashed my filter just last week and I hadn't had any pressure rise to indicate that it needed to be backwashed again.

I removed the bumper and couldn't get but a teeny, tiny little vortex that would come and go, so I'm not sure it works without the bumper? Does anybody use theirs without it? How close do you have it to the surface? I had the poolskim, without the bumper, about 3 inches from the surface and couldn't get it to suction.

Since I couldn't get it to work correctly without the bumper, I left it in. Now this morning I have little eruptions of water coming up from the middle of the poolskim. It looks like bubbling lava! Now I'm worried about my pH again.

Anyone have any suggestions about the rise in pressure and the water that has shot up into the inline chlorinator? I hate to take the thing off now that I worked so hard to get it on. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by numberonenole
    I removed the bumper and couldn't get but a teeny, tiny little vortex that would come and go, so I'm not sure it works without the bumper? Does anybody use theirs without it? How close do you have it to the surface? I had the poolskim, without the bumper, about 3 inches from the surface and couldn't get it to suction.
    If what you're calling the "bumper" is the same as what I call the "floating hat", then yes, the PoolSkim needs the bumper/floating hat in order to work properly. Won't skim a darn thing without the bumper/floating hat.
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

7. Back To Top    #7

We installed a PoolSkim on Friday…and thus I remembered this thread. Once properly positioned, we were very pleased with the results and the simplicity of this unit. As to the bubbles…the vortex that is created inside the hat (as the water spills over the rim, like a round waterfall) also carries with it some air. This air is mixed with the water and is then pushed into the bag. It then bubbles back to the surface. No problem…

After you removed the hat and then reinstalled it, you commented about it: {“I have little eruptions of water coming up from the middle of the PoolSkim. It looks like bubbling lava!”} Please check how you reinserted the hat. It is directional. Turn it 180 degreed and reinsert. There are two cut-outs (1/2 circles) on the bottom of the hat, a small one and large one. The small one must be facing the inlet side of the unit.

Based upon my experience (limited as it is…) I don’t think the minor bubbling of the PoolSkim would have a noticeable impact on the pH.

Travis
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

8. Back To Top    #8

Good reply, FlyboyTR.

The tiny bubbles are a result of the vortex drawing in air. The larger air bubbles are broken up when they're forced through the netting and become tiny bubbles. When you remove the hat, deactivating the vortex action, the bubbles disappear.

I doubt that this bubble action produces enough aeration to impact a pool's pH.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Anna!
    I have sponged off of everyone here for so long …it felt good to be able to contribute something for the Team!
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

10. Back To Top    #10

Isn't a chlorinator supposed to fill with water!?
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.