Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not holding chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Not holding chlorine

I just filled my pool a few days ago. I decided to SLAM it as I had a bit of algae at the end of last season when I put away my pool (9x 18 above ground pool). I had no problems for most of last year; however, this time I can not get it to hold Chlorine. I got absolutely no reading for CYA. I thought perhaps my chemicals were old or got wet in the garage, so I purchased replacement. The first time I slammed, the FC was only 7, rather than my target of 10. SLAMMED again the next night, and it was down a bit, but thought it might be OK. I just checked this evening, and I have absolutely no chlorine! I did use a Safeway brand of bleach - could that be a problem? I used Clorox tonight. I will check again in the morning and monitor it throughout the day. I have never had such a problem before.
    Sharon
    Seattle, WA; 9x18 Intex Ultra Frame, 4,800 gal; AG; Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter Pump; Bought 2013; TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not holding chlorine

Hi,
    It sounds as if you may need to revisit the SLAM procedure in Pool School again. It isn't a one time thing, it's a process.

If your CYA is still 0, then you need to add enough to target 30ppm. The CYA will help protect the chlorine from being burned off by UV.
    Without CYA, you will loose FC very quickly.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure what your experience is, so forgive me in advance if I am stating the obvious!

Slamming is not a one shot deal. The M in slam stands for maintain. Maybe rereading the directions would help? Here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I am not sure about Safeway brand. If there is no sodium hypochlorite percentage listed on the jug, don't buy it. Also, check the "date-code" on the jug. It is usually a 5 digit number containing the last 2 digits of the year, and the julian date. Eg: 16150 would be the 150th day of the year. As chlorine ages it loses potency.

You need to add at least 20ppm CYA and see where you are.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I was spoiled last year by pretty easy maintenance. I just put in stabilizer last night, and I am still at a CYA below 20. The Chlorine/CYA chart does not recommend SLAMMING at that level. Should I just wait until it rises? At least the chlorine level is not 0 today, so it must be working somewhat. Thanks for your replies.
    Sharon
    Seattle, WA; 9x18 Intex Ultra Frame, 4,800 gal; AG; Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter Pump; Bought 2013; TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't wait, go ahead and start the SLAM now based on the CYA level you added.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach