Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with adding chemicals after huge water loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with adding chemicals after huge water loss

Hi All,
    We have a small leak and are going to have our liner replaced. In the mean time, over winter, we lost a ton of water. It's a slow leak, but added up over the winter to quite a water loss. So we are basically starting from pretty new water. Didn't want to add a bunch of chemicals if we could keep the chlorine level up since we will be emptying the pool anyway to replace the liner. But now it could be a couple weeks to a month before they get the new liner installed so we have to keep the one we have going so it doesn't turn into a swamp and we can use it until the new one is installed.

So, at this time we have no CYA in the pool. Was hoping to get the new liner going with the stabilizer but it looks like I have to use it in the old one. ;( Anyhow, what would be the best way to add stabilizer? We have a bucket of 3 inch tabs that we quit using last year when we went the bleach only route that can be used. Also have a 4 pound container of granular stabilizer.

Here are our other readings:

chlorine 0
    FC 0
    CC 0
    CH 75
    TA 70

Thanks for helping us get this thing back in shape until the new liner is installed. And we still have to choose the liner! I'm going crazy! The water looks nice and clear at this time. But with no chlorine and no CYA, and 102-105 degree temps coming this weekend,we need to keep the old liner going!

Sherry
    19,000 gallons, In ground 16 x 32, Vinyl liner, Sand filter Hayward Pro Series S-244T (300 lb media), Pump Hayward 1 hp, Install March 1998, water test kit- TF-100 -- New Liner installed 07-07-2016 -- Mountain Top/Blue Mosaic by Kafko, Installed new 1 hp pump motor on 06-28-2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with adding chemicals after huge water loss

Yup, you got it. Chlorine and CYA.... If the temps are going to be that high, I would use the granular and get it dissolved ASAP with the sock method and lots of squeezing. Tabs will take too long.

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay, CYA is starting to register but very little.
    FC at 3
    CC at 0.5
    TC at 3.5
    At least the chlorine is registering now. Before it was at zero. So chlorine probably isn't high enough yet. Will add some more and hope the CYA keeps rising. It was 103 here today which isn't helping. But it would be much worse if the pool wasn't holding any chlorine.
    19,000 gallons, In ground 16 x 32, Vinyl liner, Sand filter Hayward Pro Series S-244T (300 lb media), Pump Hayward 1 hp, Install March 1998, water test kit- TF-100 -- New Liner installed 07-07-2016 -- Mountain Top/Blue Mosaic by Kafko, Installed new 1 hp pump motor on 06-28-2017

4. Back To Top    #4

How did you end up adding CYA?

5. Back To Top    #5

We used the granular we had. But it's barely registering anything yet.

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you add it directly through the skimmer or in a sock? It can take a while to dissolve. It should show up about 48 hours after it dissolves.

7. Back To Top    #7

My husband added it through the skimmer. Is that okay or a mistake? He wouldn't wait to do it the other way. The temps were rising 101-104 with the pool holding no chlorine. As I stated, we are going to get a new liner but it is proving to take longer than we thought it would. So we didn't want this liner turning into a swamp since we can use it until we get the new one installed.
    Sherry

8. Back To Top    #8

It's OK to add to the skimmer, but that means lots of the granules are undissolved, trapped in your filter. They will dissolve over time, but you should not backwash for several days or undissolved granules will go out with the backwash water.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you! We are not doing any backwashing right now. I also noticed in the little picture that your pool looks like it has a prism or royal prism floor. I am still considering which liner to get and was kind of curious if the those two bottoms look busy. Would you happen to have a photo you could post of your pool if it does have a prism or royal prism bottom?
    Thanks again.
    Sherry

- - - Updated - - -

JVTrain,
    Ooops. Thought I was replying to MarianParoo when I was talking about the floor pattern since she has been the only one to respond so far. So thank you for the info on using the granular.
    Sherry

10. Back To Top    #10

Hahaha! I already did a pic for you on your liner thread! It is a royal prism bottom, stafford top.
    Please post photos of your liners to help me decide!

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay, we threw the granules in on the 3rd and it's barely registering past 10. It seems like they should be dissolved by now. What do you think?
    Sherry

- - - Updated - - -

Or will it take them longer to dissolve because he added them through the skimmer?

12. Back To Top    #12

Arg. Time for more CYA.... Try the sock and squeeze method. That will register 24-48 hours after it is dissolved. If you have money to burn, you could add liquid CYA as that will register quickly.