Hey guys and gals,
Moved into a new home about 3 months ago and been learning a ton about pools and water chemistry and have had a beatiful crystal clear pool for about a month. I have a good Taylor test kit and check the water daily (probably too often).
About a week ago I found a couple dead little mice in the pool so I figured it would be a good idea to shock, or what the Leslie's pool store said was "Super Chlorinate". They sold me 6 bags of Pow Pow Powder I think it was called to achieve a full sanitation of the pool from the dead mice.
Most pool is about 12,000 gallons (not that big) and it has a salt system (Intellichlor)
I put put all litte 6 bags in the pool yesterday afternoon and swept it all in many times yesterday and had to multiple times today also as I kept finding areas of white powder on the bottom of the pool.
I turned the salt system generator down to 0% before adding the shock as I knew there was going to be a ton of chlorine so no need to make more.
Its been about 30 hours and the pool has over 20 free chlorine (checked with Taylor kit). It had over 20
after the shock and it still has 21 ish or so.
Crazy high FC Water irritates my arm just to check the FC.
Weather is supposed to be warm this weekend and the wife and daughter want to swim. What should I do?
Also, is this over 20 level way to high for a shock? They know my pool measurements and said I needed 6 bags for full "super chlorination".
I know th pool isn't safe to swim in At the moment but is there anything I can do to get it back quickly?
over 24 hours of this high of chlorine should have killed whatever was in there from the mice right? So now I can bring it back, but what's the best way?
Did I overkill with this treatment? It already had FC of 4 all week so whatever was in the pool from the mice was prolly already gone. Or maybe this much shock was the way to go?
Also how quickly do I need to act on this? Pool is a Fiberglass pool. Can over 20 FC for a few days damage the pool?
my pool filter rarely needs backwash it's always at 15. After I did this it raised to 20. So maybe I need to backwash?
Thanks for any help u guys and gals can give a newbie!