Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hard well water

1. Back To Top    #1

Hard well water

We used well water to fill the pool, CH is way higher than 300. Straight out of the faucet it's 550. Testing in the pool I'm about 700. Intex ultra frame with SWG. Replacing the water obviously won't be any help. Does it matter I'm so high above 300?

18' x 48" Intex ultra frame
    Standard cartridge filter and SWG that came with the pool
    I started off with a Taylor test kit, but my refills are coming from TFT so I am not sure what kit you would say I have.
    Stir thingy - Check

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hard well water

What will help is to keep the pH around 7.2 and the TA between 70-90ppm. You can manage water with high CH if you keep pH on the low end of the recommended levels. High pH may lead to scale formation.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

kne,

You will be able to deal with the high CH by taking zea3's advice.

Please have your well tested for iron......that's where you will have a hard time.

Do you have rust around the toileyts, sink's etc? Do you have a whole house water softener?

The CH (at those levels you report) is manageable........crossing my fingers you don't have to deal with iron which is much more difficult.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys Inside the house we are on city water, we use the well for everything outside so no toilets to check out. Is this a pool store test?

I started off with a Taylor test kit, but my refills are coming from TFT so I am not sure what kit you would say I have.
    Stir thingy - Check

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the Iron test is done at the pool store. You could buy your own, but it's awful pricey just to test once.

I would kind of doubt you'll have Iron, since there's not a history of Iron mining in the East Bay. If the native soil is reddish, you're probably okay.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I live close to a Leslie's so I'll get it checked just to know. It'll be fun to compare their numbers to mine I'll work on keeping the PH & TA on the lower end as suggested. If I remember right, last year I used a lot muriatic acid to keep it in check.

Stir thingy - Check

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

It'll be fun to compare their numbers to mine
    I hate when I hear that. Their lack of reliability is seldom fun. Trust your own test results...Always!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I hate when I hear that. Their lack of reliability is seldom fun. Trust your own test results...Always!
    Awe duraleigh I know my tests results are spot on! But since I've never had my water tested by a pool store before and reading all the horror stories on this site, the analyst in me can't wait to see the difference

Stir thingy - Check

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL, fun things to do on a Saturday morning!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach