Want to Take Control of My Pool-What's the First Step?

Jun 2, 2016
Madera CA
I have been a pool owner for five years, have always had a weekly service provider take care of it. Took a month off from the service while having the pool re-plastered (went with Pebble Fina Sapphire Galaxy). During the off month, my service decided to drop me (we live out in the country), so I am on my own as of earlier this week. The plastering company did the "hot start" for the Pebble Fina, got the water balanced once that was done, and everything looks perfect as of now. I have been brushing the new finish twice a day for almost two weeks now. I want to start taking care of this thing on my own, need some direction to move forward? Everything looks great right now, I hope to keep it that way. All I did this week was drop a couple of chlorine pucks into the floater. I understand, more or less, how the equipment works and how to adjust it, but I am clueless as to the chemistry part of it.

From reading a bit here, my understanding is that a comprehensive test is what's needed. What kit should I get, and where is the best place to get it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd get the TF-100 with Speed Stir from tftestkits.net. Best value for what you need out there.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

When I was new I wasn't sure about trusting the TF-100 so I ordered the k-2006 by Taylor. Now that I've been here a few years, I always suggest people order the TF-50 if they have a cartridge and they've already got a working PH test, or, if they are starting from scratch, or have a filter that back washes, the TF-100.

There is nothing wrong with the K-2006, it is just the truth of the matter that the TF-100 is a slightly more efficient investment if you're going to do the tests as often as you should given how much you just invested in the pool.

TFTestkits.net supposedly has the freshest chemicals, so if you store them properly, odds are they will never go bad before you use them, which is also a plus. Another user just bought a k-2006 from amazon and it was also fresh enough, but I'm not sure which seller it was.

Whatever you pick, don't delay. Order one within 24 hours so you can get it asap. If you just don't know, order the TF-100 since it is probably the best deal and the most popular kit. If you just can't do the TF-100, do the k2006. Either way, you will not regret it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a brand new pool owner, and new forum member, I would highly recommend the speed stir.
It's 100% worth the money - made my testing faster and way more consistent.
I use it for FC, CC, TA, and CH.
pH and CYA don't necessarily require it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.