Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Want to Take Control of My Pool-What's the First Step?

1. Back To Top    #1

Want to Take Control of My Pool-What's the First Step?

I have been a pool owner for five years, have always had a weekly service provider take care of it. Took a month off from the service while having the pool re-plastered (went with Pebble Fina Sapphire Galaxy). During the off month, my service decided to drop me (we live out in the country), so I am on my own as of earlier this week. The plastering company did the "hot start" for the Pebble Fina, got the water balanced once that was done, and everything looks perfect as of now. I have been brushing the new finish twice a day for almost two weeks now. I want to start taking care of this thing on my own, need some direction to move forward? Everything looks great right now, I hope to keep it that way. All I did this week was drop a couple of chlorine pucks into the floater. I understand, more or less, how the equipment works and how to adjust it, but I am clueless as to the chemistry part of it.

From reading a bit here, my understanding is that a comprehensive test is what's needed. What kit should I get, and where is the best place to get it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    30k gallon in ground pool
    Pebble Fina Sapphire Galaxy Finish
    1 HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump
    Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter
    The Pool Cleaner 2 Wheel Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Want to Take Control of My Pool-What's the First Step?

Welcome to the forum. Great username!!

I have to let others comment on the kit but we're glad you are here.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I'd get the TF-100 with Speed Stir from tftestkits.net. Best value for what you need out there.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Here is what Pebbletec says, start there.
    Pool Care Instructions Pebble Tec
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

When I was new I wasn't sure about trusting the TF-100 so I ordered the k-2006 by Taylor. Now that I've been here a few years, I always suggest people order the TF-50 if they have a cartridge and they've already got a working PH test, or, if they are starting from scratch, or have a filter that back washes, the TF-100.

There is nothing wrong with the K-2006, it is just the truth of the matter that the TF-100 is a slightly more efficient investment if you're going to do the tests as often as you should given how much you just invested in the pool.

TFTestkits.net supposedly has the freshest chemicals, so if you store them properly, odds are they will never go bad before you use them, which is also a plus. Another user just bought a k-2006 from amazon and it was also fresh enough, but I'm not sure which seller it was.

Whatever you pick, don't delay. Order one within 24 hours so you can get it asap. If you just don't know, order the TF-100 since it is probably the best deal and the most popular kit. If you just can't do the TF-100, do the k2006. Either way, you will not regret it.
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice, went ahead and ordered the TF-100. What is the purpose of the Speed Stir?
    30k gallon in ground pool
    Pebble Fina Sapphire Galaxy Finish
    1 HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump
    Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter
    The Pool Cleaner 2 Wheel Vacuum

7. Back To Top    #7

To make you a ninja tester! It stirs the sample for you while you add drops. Increases accuracy and consistency.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Speed stir is well worth the cost. I wished I had bought it when I got my first test kit. Makes testing so much easier and consistent.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

What tests do you use the speed stir for? All of them?

IG ~22,000 gallon plaster freeform pool (27 years old). Hayward single speed pump, pentair booster, DE filter, Kreepy Krawly Legend.

10. Back To Top    #10

The main two it helps most with are TA and CH.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

As a brand new pool owner, and new forum member, I would highly recommend the speed stir.
    It's 100% worth the money - made my testing faster and way more consistent.
    I use it for FC, CC, TA, and CH.
    pH and CYA don't necessarily require it.