need help.. trying to get started.

Jun 3, 2016
va
hey all been lurking and researching for the past 3 days. i just got a summer waves 18' x 48" pool. holds 7600 gallons i believe.

im trying to get this thing straight. i had no idea how much work a pool was until i started researching. i thought you just threw some chlorine in it and swam.

so the pool finished filling up last night. put the pool cover on it today and just started the pump after i got off work. i bought some stuff today.

3" chlorine tablets
a bottle of cya
a container for the tablets
algecide (but after reading i dont think i need this?)
and some "shock".
and a ph reader (has 5 drippers)

kind of confused on what to do so i kind of just threw a 3" tablet in the floater and covered it back up because it just started raining. the tablets say they are stabilized so does that mean they have the cya with it?

i did a ph test and its reading somewhere between 7.8-8 so i guess thats not good either. just really needing some help on what to do. i wanted to put the cya in a sock but theres nowhere to tie it to or anything. i read a few guides and i think im just over confusing myself.

please help me get this going guys i dont want this water to get ruined.

Welcome to TFP

You've already done some reading and get kudos for that. You shouldn't need that algeside. But.....you will need (since you've been reading) a good test kit. Looks like you are testing with strips?

You need to be able to test:
FC
PH
TA
CYA

You probably don't need to test CH as you have a vinyl lined pool. We reccomend the TF-100 or the Taylor k-2006.

You need good test results so you know where to go next. Check out pool math linked at the top of the page. You can plug in current numbers and target numbers and it will tell you what you need. The pucks are probably adding stabilizer which is good on a fresh fill but slow to do so. And, over time too much stabilizer (CYA) will cause you problems.

Ok well......I looked at that link and you are missing the test for CYA. And that's the number you need. You can assume zero and use pool math and add stabilizer to bring it up to your target. But how will you know for sure what it is?

The amount of chlorine you need in your pool is dependent on your CYA number. I don't reccomend winging it. You can get a test kit at one initial cost or go to the pool store for free testing only to have them tell you that you need X X and X.

Keep reading here and look at pool school. I know it is confusing all at once but "troublefree" once you understand it all.

Without a good test kit......if it were me? I wouldn't use pucks, I'd add stabilizer and liquid chlorine according to pool math. But that is flying blind. I'm sure you wouldn't want your pilot doing that.

Edit

You can ties socks full of stabilizer to pool floaty noodles.

As for your question about pulling out pucks......go to pool math linked at top of page and scroll down. You can plug in what you are using and it will tell you the effects.

Last edited:
based on pool math i added 36 oz of cya in a sock and tied it.

i took the tablet out. so now should i add bleach? pool math says 39oz of 6%. where do i find and what kind if so.

also, how and when should i get my ph level down.

im trying to get this thing straight. i had no idea how much work a pool was until i started researching. i thought you just threw some chlorine in it and swam.

Don't get discouraged. Once you get the hang of it, that is pretty much what you do. The difference is you'll know exactly what your levels are and exactly how much chlorine will have exactly what effect on the water.

based on pool math i added 36 oz of cya in a sock and tied it.

i took the tablet out. so now should i add bleach? pool math says 39oz of 6%. where do i find and what kind if so.

also, how and when should i get my ph level down.

Regular bleach
....like Clorox or store brand. You can by any percentage available but don't buy scented or ez-pour. You can also find higher concentrated chlorine in the pool section at Walmart. Bleach, liquid pool chlorine is pretty much all sodium hypochlorite. You can change the percentage you are using on pool math.

Bring your PH level down using pool math and muratic acid. You'll find that at your big box hardware store like Lowes in the paint section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.