Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing CYA using less reagent

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing CYA using less reagent

I saw how somewhere on the forum but I cannot seem to find the post anymore. How can I test cya level using less reagent? I saw someone mention something about an hth tube from Walmart or something. The cya test seems to be a big hog for reagent. Looking for a way to test for it the using less reagent similar to the 5ml method for FC and 10ml method for CH. Thanks!
    22,500 IG w/ Dark Vinyl Liner | Installed 2011 | Hayward Aqua-Rite SWG | Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter | Pentair Intelliflo 011018 | Polaris Booster Pump | Polaris Pressure side Robotic Cleaner | Hayward Titanium 110k BTU Heat exchanger (broken soon to be replaced with solar)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Testing CYA using less reagent

The HTH 6-way test has a smaller view tube so uses less water. But for the same $24 you can buy 3 refills of the 8 ounce reagent from TFTestkits, enough to perform 48 tests. So I really don't think you are going to be saving much by doing that. Unless you are actively adjusting your CYA you really only need to test it monthly.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Testing CYA using less reagent

That's a great point. Thanks very much!
    22,500 IG w/ Dark Vinyl Liner | Installed 2011 | Hayward Aqua-Rite SWG | Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter | Pentair Intelliflo 011018 | Polaris Booster Pump | Polaris Pressure side Robotic Cleaner | Hayward Titanium 110k BTU Heat exchanger (broken soon to be replaced with solar)