Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Motor Overheating - At wits end...

1. Back To Top    #1

Ft Lauderdale, FL

Unhappy Pump Motor Overheating - At wits end...

Hello Folks,
    First time posting, hoping y'all can help me out of my woes.

Last year I replaced my pool motor which died. I was not able to purchase the exact same motor (it was very old), but the guy at the pool place was able to suggest another, along with a new impeller.

Since replacing the motor it is constantly running hot and will trip off every 15-45 mins, then turn back on after a few minutes. I assume the mechanism to prevent overheating is being tripped and shutting down the pump. I replaced that original pump with a new one of the exact same kind, same problem.

Left it alone for about a year (yeah not smart) and the motor finally kicked the bucket. Since it was still under warranty I was able to get another one free of charge. It has the same issue.

I assume there is something off with my set up, but based on everything I could deduce myself, I cant figure out what it could be. Everything is wired correctly, checked all voltages (~135V to the motor - within specs), no spikes, no drops, nothing out of the ordinary.

Below is my setup.

15x30 rectangular, marcite, 14K gallons
    1 skimmer and 1 drain
    2 inlets
    Hayward Star Clear Plus C1200 filter (runs about 15psi clean, generally clean it at 20+)
    New motor: Century HSQ 125 1.25HP
    Impeller: C105-137PEB replacement
    Pump: Dura Max E Glas ? (no sticker anymore so not 100% sure, pic below.)
    I have about 35' of head on average...
    I run the motor about 8-10 hrs a day.

Any help on why my motor is so stressed out would be appreciated!!!

Pool Details:14,175K Gal Marcite? 15x30 Rectangle

Filter: Hayward Star Clear Plus C1200
    Pump: 1.25HP Century HSQ125 motor
    Cleaner: Dolphin Atlantis Robotic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Pump Motor Overheating - At wits end...

The guy at the pool store mismatched the motor with the impeller. That impeller is for a 1 HP FULL RATED motor (1.65 THP). They gave you a 1 HP up rated motor (1.25 THP). So your motor is being over driven which is why it shuts down. It is in thermal overload.

What was your old impeller number?
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner