No CYA showing — next steps?

Jun 23, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Hi all, I've run into a weird situation: my test last night showed no CYA, even though I'm sure there's at least some CYA in the pool as the FC is holding a bit. The last time I'd tested my CYA was sometime last summer and showed 40, but I kept a crystal clear pool up all winter using bleach. I tried everything to get a good test last night (letting the water warm up, more time to mix with the R-0013), and I did manage to make the mixture a tiny bit cloudy, but nothing even close to obscuring the black dot. Here are my other results:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
CH: 775
TA: 40
PH: 7.5

Since my test showed nothing, I took a sample to Leslie's this morning and was told "a little under 30" (but not how that number was reached). This afternoon, I noticed that my FC was lower than I thought it should be by this time of day — it was already down to 2. I just added enough solid stabilizer to the skimmer to bump the CYA up by 10 (so if it really is down to 30, maybe this will get me up to 40), but I don't want to do any more of that without having a better sense of how much CYA I actually have.

Thoughts?

Have you ever looked at the extended test kit directions here? Extended Test Kit Directions

CYA is post #8. It might help. Sounds like you are still quite low on CYA and you may want to target higher than your first post mentioned.

Why did it get so low? I'm not sure since you said you don't close in the winter really. We see people lose it offer winter in more seasonal areas. My only thought is rain and water replacement.

Thanks — and nope, I have no idea how it got so low. There was no splashout, not much rain or anything. I've read about bleach oxidizing CYA over time, and wonder if this is what happened, since it's been a while since I tested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.