Ph went up. I thought bromine was an acid??

bild

May 30, 2016
Orlando
I just refilled my spa (354 gal acrylic) and here are the results:

First test (by pinch-a-penny, all i added were tabs(4), and a dose of bromine quick shot)
Bromine - 5
Ph - 7.4
Total alkalinity - 100
Calcium Hard- 200
(the recommended calcium booster and that was all)

The test today:
Bromine - 5
Ph - 8
Total alkalinity - 80
Calcium Hard- 230
(the recommended more calcium and to wait on adjusting the ph)

During the week the only thing i added. Was chlorine free oxidizer (maybe twice, after we used it). And ~3 bromine tablets dissolved in it over night because i forgot the floater in the cascade area (the kids put it out of the way).
I thought bromine was and acid. How has the ph shot up?
We are leaving town for a week. I was going to turn the heat down and add the calcium booster. Will it be alright in the condition its in?
The pool is automatic. Do i need to do anything to it before leaving town?

Bromine is somewhat acidic but aren't you using bromine now? And the PH is rising? I would lower TA to 50 and see how that goes. If PH still rises then add borates.

Ok I read the sticky and i think i have a better understanding of Bromine. My conclusion (if you agree): it had been awhile since i used the oxidizer. So i added that and ill recheck the ph in the morning.

MPS--potassium monopersulfate, also called non chlorine shock (will lower your pH and TA and add sulfates to your water).

More question. I gather from the sticky that MPS and chlorine perform the same function in a bromine spa for weekly shocking. It seems it would be easier (and cheaper, i paid 12$ for 2 lbs) to add the chlorine i use in the pool instead. Is there any advantage to the MPS that i missed?
Also, what are sulfates? Good, bad?

I just remembered. there is a nature 2 spa stick that the previous owners had in. I have left it in. Before i drain the spa recently the water had a green tint. Could this be the culprit?

I quick google search found this:
Not compatible with bromine, so if converting from bromine, be sure to drain and clean your spa prior to use of Nature2.

Nature2 SPA automatically dissolves trace amounts of minerals such as silver and copper into your spa water

NOTE: this was before i drained it. It looks great now. I just dont want it to happen again.
green spa.jpg

Sulfates are bad, but they are bad for concrete, plaster, mortar and possibly SWGs. But, muriatic acid has no downside and is likely cheaper.

Yes, copper tints water green and can stain things, hair, fingernails, white dogs.

Using chlorine to activate bromine instead of MPS is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.