Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump intake flow slows down

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump intake flow slows down

We are owners of an Intex pool round 18 x 22 for about 3 years. We had a salt water pump that died on us after three years and the little pump that came with the pool was not strong enough to clean our pool this year. For some reason, we had an extreme amount of algae this year. We decided to buy an intex sand filter, an intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter. We hooked everything up and started the filter. We had to backwach about every two hours because there was so much algae in the pool. Well, we can finally see the bottom on the pool and the backwash indicator gauge is fine, but our water slows down after about 2 hours of pumping the water and we have to backwash it again. Or we turn it off and back on the water comes gushing out for about another 30 minutes or so.

Is this normal and by the way it is cleaning up the pool albeit slow?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump intake flow slows down

Welcome to TFP

That is normal for having algae in the pool and until you kill all the algae with bleach the filter will clog fast, let it run 24/7, turn to recirculate at night or when you can not watch the filter..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. I will do that tonight.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

How are you testing the water, have you read over the SLAM procedures below
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

I am not real familiar with the SLAM procedure even though I read about. My water was tested at a pool store so I was instructed on a full procedure. I put the pump on recycle last night. My water is no longer green but has a cloudy tint to it. I turned the pump back to filter for 2 hours automatic. Hopefully it will stop clogging.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed the water when pumped back into the pool looks like there is foam in it. That just may be the water pressure from the pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Salongec View Post
    I am not real familiar with the SLAM procedure even though I read about. My water was tested at a pool store so I was instructed on a full procedure. I put the pump on recycle last night. My water is no longer green but has a cloudy tint to it. I turned the pump back to filter for 2 hours automatic. Hopefully it will stop clogging.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed the water when pumped back into the pool looks like there is foam in it. That just may be the water pressure from the pump.
    That can happen if you've used algaecide.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I did use an Algecide that I got from the pool store. Will it stop eventually?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

the foaming will slow down as you bring the FC up, not sure how long it will take..

9. Back To Top    #9

Based on my test strips it is up as my chlorine. My ph is fine. All my tests are good.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Salongec View Post
    Based on my test strips it is up as my chlorine. My ph is fine. All my tests are good.
    You may want to invest in a quality test kit, strips can be unreliable.
    tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

And you can avoid all the extra chemicals be learning about the TFP method used here.
    Pool School - Getting Started

I haven't used anything other than bleach, stabilizer, and some soda ash for 4 years.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!