Pump intake flow slows down

Jun 3, 2016
Cartersville, VA
We are owners of an Intex pool round 18 x 22 for about 3 years. We had a salt water pump that died on us after three years and the little pump that came with the pool was not strong enough to clean our pool this year. For some reason, we had an extreme amount of algae this year. We decided to buy an intex sand filter, an intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter. We hooked everything up and started the filter. We had to backwach about every two hours because there was so much algae in the pool. Well, we can finally see the bottom on the pool and the backwash indicator gauge is fine, but our water slows down after about 2 hours of pumping the water and we have to backwash it again. Or we turn it off and back on the water comes gushing out for about another 30 minutes or so.

Is this normal and by the way it is cleaning up the pool albeit slow?

Welcome to TFP :)

That is normal for having algae in the pool and until you kill all the algae with bleach the filter will clog fast, let it run 24/7, turn to recirculate at night or when you can not watch the filter..

I am not real familiar with the SLAM procedure even though I read about. My water was tested at a pool store so I was instructed on a full procedure. I put the pump on recycle last night. My water is no longer green but has a cloudy tint to it. I turned the pump back to filter for 2 hours automatic. Hopefully it will stop clogging.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed the water when pumped back into the pool looks like there is foam in it. That just may be the water pressure from the pump.

I am not real familiar with the SLAM procedure even though I read about. My water was tested at a pool store so I was instructed on a full procedure. I put the pump on recycle last night. My water is no longer green but has a cloudy tint to it. I turned the pump back to filter for 2 hours automatic. Hopefully it will stop clogging.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed the water when pumped back into the pool looks like there is foam in it. That just may be the water pressure from the pump.

That can happen if you've used algaecide.

Based on my test strips it is up as my chlorine. My ph is fine. All my tests are good.

You may want to invest in a quality test kit, strips can be unreliable.
tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

And you can avoid all the extra chemicals be learning about the TFP method used here.
Pool School - Getting Started

I haven't used anything other than bleach, stabilizer, and some soda ash for 4 years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.