Pump time

Do you have check valves?

Your plumbing curve is changing with RPM which usually means there are check valves in-line.

I'm being blocked from sending more pictures.

There are several check valves:

1. Just after the filter, inline spring type check valve for the ozone.
2. One at the heater to reroute any flow over 100 gpm, inline spring check valve
3. One just before the chlorinator (flapper check valve)
4. One for the spa return (spa is higher than the pool equipment, flapper check valve)
5. One to the spa jets (spa is higher than the pool equipment, flapper check valve)
6. One that goes around the chlorinator for excess flow (flapper check valve)

#1 is probably what is causing the higher head loss at low RPM. The springs in those tend to be very strong and when the flow rate reduces, they close off considerably increasing the plumbing curve. At some point you might consider replacing that with a flapper type of valve. It would allow you to reduce the RPM to get the same flow rate and save even more energy.

I did consider that, recognizing that it would decrease the effort on the pumps. I called the Ozone vendor directly and they said this valve is a "variable" check valve and it's important for the operation of the generator. I'll know more when they install the flow meter. With all the check valves it's very difficult to determine the flow.

thanks

mas985, you were correct. Running at the slower speed (1730 RPM), we were moving approximately 23 GPM through the 2" pipe. This was consuming 245 watts. When sped up to 45 GPM which is a turnover in our pool in six hours (2400 RPM), the energy usage goes up to 714 watts. Set it up to run at 23 GPM for 18 hours per day and 45 GPM for 6 hours. Gives two turnovers per day. I'm happy with that. Costs $22 / month.

Just curious how often everyone runs their pump daily. I have a AG pool 24x48 (14600 gallons).
Last year I ran on low 24/7, but I'm wondering if that's over kill

Thanks everyone. All of my pool own g friends run 24/7 around here. Id rather not if it's not neccasary

If you were just looking for a consensus, 8 hour guy here from 10-6. If I need to add something I will generally do so around dusk and run pump for a few hours manually and turn off before I go to bed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.