Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin Triton arrives tomorrow

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin Triton arrives tomorrow

Picking out a robot cleaner gave me a huge headache. I'd think I had it figured out, and then I would read another review and overthink things. Finally, I narrowed it down to the Nautilus and the Triton and asked hubby to please just pick one! The Triton was a good midpoint between the Nautilus and the Z5, and I just hope it cleans well. We started with a Hayward Aquanaut suction-side cleaner, and it took forever to do a mediocre job with the pump running near high. After a few weeks of that, we decided a robot might be worth it.

It will arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to throw it in the pool. Any tips? Any name suggestions?
    Water in, we're swimming! IG 18x29 gunite, 3.5-6.5 depth, 14,000 gallons approx, 1 skimmer, Hayward 4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Tristar VSP, 20 ft. raised bond beam with sprayers, 40 sq ft sunshelf with 2 bubblers, 7 ft round attached spa, Hayward 250k heater, quartz plaster, travertine coping, approx 800 sq feet acrylic deck

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin Triton arrives tomorrow

Since you already went through the headache , maybe you can help me with a similar decision. As you move up from a Nautilus to a Triton to a Z5 (or S300), what are toy gaining in terms of cleaning power? Set aside additions like caddy and remote. Also, presuming that it's a Nautilus PLUS and a Triton PLUS, it seems access is all from the top. But between a Nautilus Plus and a Z5, the price is almost double. What do you get for that?
    40x20 IG vinyl (~30k gallons) * Pentair FNS Plus DE filter * Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump * RayPak RP2100 natural gas heater * TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    Since you already went through the headache , maybe you can help me with a similar decision. As you move up from a Nautilus to a Triton to a Z5 (or S300), what are toy gaining in terms of cleaning power? Set aside additions like caddy and remote. Also, presuming that it's a Nautilus PLUS and a Triton PLUS, it seems access is all from the top. But between a Nautilus Plus and a Z5, the price is almost double. What do you get for that?
    Residential Cleaners[]=1550&cid[]=1578
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    Residential Cleaners[]=1550&cid[]=1578
    Something like this really isn't helpful. They are completely different designs, and the few gizmos (caddy, bluetooth) do not explain the functional and price differences.

Dolphin.jpg
    40x20 IG vinyl (~30k gallons) * Pentair FNS Plus DE filter * Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump * RayPak RP2100 natural gas heater * TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You made a good choice.

Actually, the Triton is not much more than a Nautilus with a float handle on it. They a basically the same design, same motor and track system. The float handle allows the cleaner to clean teh tile line a bit better. Its a great cleaner and will do a good job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan2008 View Post
    Picking out a robot cleaner gave me a huge headache. I'd think I had it figured out, and then I would read another review and overthink things. Finally, I narrowed it down to the Nautilus and the Triton and asked hubby to please just pick one! The Triton was a good midpoint between the Nautilus and the Z5, and I just hope it cleans well. We started with a Hayward Aquanaut suction-side cleaner, and it took forever to do a mediocre job with the pump running near high. After a few weeks of that, we decided a robot might be worth it.

It will arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to throw it in the pool. Any tips? Any name suggestions?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    You made a good choice.

Actually, the Triton is not much more than a Nautilus with a float handle on it. They a basically the same design, same motor and track system. The float handle allows the cleaner to clean teh tile line a bit better. Its a great cleaner and will do a good job for you.
    Thanks so much! That's why we ended up with those two as our final options--very similar, a couple of feature differences, and the ability to add the remote, if we choose!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    Not the plus, just the regular Triton. Top access would be nice, but I was not willing to pay much more for it.
    I wish I could help you on the difference between the Nautilus Plus and the Z5, but one of the only things I recall is that a float handle allows the cleaner to clean the waterline tile more consistently, as well as helps with pulling it out of the water.
    Water in, we're swimming! IG 18x29 gunite, 3.5-6.5 depth, 14,000 gallons approx, 1 skimmer, Hayward 4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Tristar VSP, 20 ft. raised bond beam with sprayers, 40 sq ft sunshelf with 2 bubblers, 7 ft round attached spa, Hayward 250k heater, quartz plaster, travertine coping, approx 800 sq feet acrylic deck