Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covering your pool when not in use in swim season?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wilton, ME

Covering your pool when not in use in swim season?

We live in the woods. Things are constantly dropping from trees. The slightest breeze sends all sorts of debris everywhere. Plus, when we mow the lawn, try as we might, grass does tend to fly around.

Do you cover your pool in summer when you're not in it to keep it cleaner? If so, with what? Ours is a 16' Intex metal frame pool. We're getting stairs for it, so we won't be taking them in/out all the time, instead gating the outside stairs.

A solar cover doesn't look like it would keep junk out of the pool (I can imagine everything from on top dumping in when I try to take the cover off.)

A winter cover seems like it's not made for easy removal, and that's what my husband thinks we should get.

Part of me thinks we should just get a large tarp to put over it that we can roll up and store when we're using the pool, and some bungies to hold it down to some weights or to the frame. (Maybe I can convince my husband to DIY a roller thingy for it, or at least a cradle to catch it in on the back side of the pool).

What do you do??
    Lake swimmers with a 16'x48" Intex Ultra Frame Pool (Came with our house)
    Hoping for a "real" pool someday!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: Covering your pool when not in use in swim season?

I have lots of trees too and I mow grass. Stuff constantly gets in, so I run my pump longer to keep stuff that floats skimmed off, and I got myself a robot cleaner to keep the bottom clean.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Covering your pool when not in use in swim season?

Plus one to all of that. Lots of trees, lots of mowing and lots of debris. I also do the lots of skimming to keep the debris from sinking. And you are correct that a solar cover will not work at all. Pretty much everything on top of the solar cover goes in the pool when you take it off.

If you don't have one here are a couple of options
    INTEX Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer | Academy
    Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach