Liner Question

fyn409

Jul 9, 2013
So bought my house end of last summer, it included a 16x36 in ground pool. Been using the TFP method on it and it has been going well. The pool is about 10 years old and I know the liner is getting up there in age. I have noticed that in two of the corners there is a slight gap that has opened up at the coping maybe 1" long x 1/4" wide (see picture). Is this something to be concerned with? Should anything be done? The rest of the liner seems fine and I would like to prolong the replacement as long as possible.

Thanks,
Ryan

Sorry the pic is upside down, not sure why or how to fix it. Was fine before posting.

Attachments

• Liner2.JPG
    Liner2.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hi Ryan,
its just a short matter of time before that becomes a big rip. The weight of the water will continue to pull on it and it will get bigger and bigger. you should probably start looking for a new liner as soon as is practical for you.

In the meantime, don't let the pool water level to the level of the rip. Water will go behind the tear and float the liner.

From the picture I can't tell if there is an actual tear, or if the liner is simply pulling out of the coping. My previous liner was prone to pulling out of the coping. You wait for a hot day where the sun is shining on the affected part, and carefully push it back into the coping with your fingers (do NOT use tools). There is a product (liner lock) that you can push in to give more tension so the liner does not pull out again. I actually have a solid piece of liner lock that goes 100% around the perimeter of my pool liner and coping.

It looks like the bead has pulled loose from the coping. Very hot water can be a great help of the liner is stiff. I had a 2' corner section come loose and used 140 degree water to heat the liner enough to soften it and the bead so I could work it back in. A teapot is an excellent tool to direct the pouring. I also used Popsicle sticks to hold it in place while the liner cooled off.

+1 on the bead lock. It can be worked in by hand (be prepared for sore fingertips). A small block of wood and a mallet is great for stubborn areas.

Thanks for the info, I will take a closer look when I get home but I believe it has pulled from the coping vs ripping. Is there anything that has to be done to the coping to re-insert the liner if that is all it is? Or is it just warm the liner and hopefully stretch it back and push it in? I will check into the bead lock as well.

Nothing needs to be done to the coping. You can try working the line back in place using your fingers alone. If that does not work, use very hot water (130 to 140 degrees should do it - not boiling!) to soften the liner a bit so you can stretch it with upward pressure from your fingers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.