Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much stabilizer is in a tablet?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

How much stabilizer is in a tablet?

I searched but could not find it...I know it is a ratio, but I have forgotten it...
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much stabilizer is in a tablet?

Tablets can vary quite a lot these days especially with all the 4-in-1 type products. But here's how to look at it -

For every 10ppm FC added by trichlor, you'll add 6ppm CYA.

A typical 99% pure 3" trichlor tablet is roughly 8oz of trichlor.

So, if you stick those numbers in pool math, you can get a rough estimate of the number of tablets it takes to get 10ppm FC.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

What you're remembering is Effects of Adding Chemicals down at the bottom of poolmath. Be sure to input the correct volume up top. And read the pH disclaimer immediately below.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is 6ppm of cya correct for a 3" trichlor? I heard it was 3ppm of cya for a 10,000gal pool, so if you had a 15,000 pool. it would be 2ppm of cya per tablet.
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tstex View Post
    Is 6ppm of cya correct for a 3" trichlor? I heard it was 3ppm of cya for a 10,000gal pool, so if you had a 15,000 pool. it would be 2ppm of cya per tablet.
    The exact amount of CYA and FC added expressed as ppm depends on pool volume The puck size is constant. How many million parts of water depends on pool size.

The ratio of 10:6 FC:CYA is constant.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tstex View Post
    One 3" tab with a weight of 8oz (most common) will raise CYA 3.3ppm in a 10,000 gallon pool. The extra .3 may not seem like much, but it does add up....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon