Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you use solar heating with saltwater systems?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you use solar heating with saltwater systems?

Have been looking into this but can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you use solar heating with saltwater systems?

Sure, why not?
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

3. Back To Top    #3

Because I noticed the Intex solar mats can't be used with saltwater systems but it doesn't say why not. I have been looking at different makes and none of them say anything about salt water. I phoned an online supplier and they said it wasn't recommended to use solar panels with saltwater systems. There is no information I can find on the internet. I was hoping I might find someone using them with salt water

4. Back To Top    #4

Check out YouTube... there are several different methods aside from solar mats that are easy builds and relatively cheap to build and will be a bit more efficient given you have the room around the pool to set up a solar panel... I am building one on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER570 View Post
    Check out YouTube... there are several different methods aside from solar mats that are easy builds and relatively cheap to build and will be a bit more efficient given you have the room around the pool to set up a solar panel... I am building one on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.
    Homemade DIY solar heating setups are rarely more inexpensive or more efficient than commercially made panels.

I have solar and saltwater and I am sure hundreds if not thousands of members do as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

what he said ^

There's around 1/4 million pools in Sydney. My own random sample of 30 pools (from looking at houses) included all but two on salt and over 50% solar heated.

Salt water is not a challenge for solar heating system design in any way. At 3,500 PPM salt, pools run 1/10th the salt concentration of seawater, and liquid chlorinated pools are commonly 500 to 1500 PPM salt.

Go fa ya life, mate
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok I've spent 20 minutes looking all over Intex's site looking for the no saltwater language. I've read the manual cover to cover.

I can find nothing saying that the solar mats are incompatible with salt water systems.

Who told you you couldn't use the solar mats with a saltwater system?

There may be some problems with Intex pumps not being powerful enough to move the water through a large solar system and back into the pool and for that reason they don't want the solar system on a roof.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

^ Yep. I have solar and SWG. Works great! Pool is at 90F all the time!
    JF

13.5k gallons, IG, Vinyl, Hayward C3030 Cartridge, Hayward Tristar 3/4hp single speed, Hayward T-15 SWG, Hayward P4 automation, 234 sqft Solex Solar panels. April 2013 construction, Dolphin DX4 robot, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jets 2.

9. Back To Top    #9

Intex Solar Heating Mat for Above Ground Swimming Pools 47 - Pool Heating

Says not suitable for saltwater systems on this site.

10. Back To Top    #10

I also phoned an online pool company asking about solar heating panels by PoolSolar and they told me it was not recommended to use them with saltwater systems.

If I can used them then that's great and I will go ahead and get some.

Thanks for your help.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is my thinking on why they might be saying that. Could it be that the Intex systems are integrated too much and there is no way to plumb the SWG after the solar mats? The SWG must be the last piece of equipment or gas could build up in the solar mats.

And of course the pumps are generally too weak.

Maybe it is not that the mats would be damaged and more a problem with ability to properly plumb with the Intex equipment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

To use the British term this is just rubbish. Intex says nothing about it in their manual and it defies common sense. There are no reports on TFP that I have ever seen about a problem with Intex or any other solar panel that has any relationship to salt water pools.

I I had Jason's thought about the plumbing problem. ANd its correct Intex sells integrated salt systems that would be before the panels. But the chlorine concentrations would not be that significant.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

13. Back To Top    #13

16x48 Intex AGP, Intex SWG,
    2800gph intex sand filter
    Thru wall skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

Casper these commercial manufactured ones have way more surface area then you will achieve. And even having a good DIY system under a glass or plexi its barely going to match a commercial unit. Thats a good amount of work for something you can buy pretty cheap all ready done.
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

15. Back To Top    #15

Could be that someone plumbed solar in after the SWG and they had problems, so they just say no.

If there's no way to plumb it in ahead of the SWG, a separate pump might be an option, but would be best with it's own intake and return. If the Intex pump is already at or above it's capabilities, maybe this would be necessary anyway.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

16. Back To Top    #16

I added this Amazon.com : GAME 4512 SolarPro XD1 Solar Pool Heater for Intex Garden to my 16 x 32 rectangular pool. I think it warms it a few degrees.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinNieves View Post
    I added this Amazon.com : GAME 4512 SolarPro XD1 Solar Pool Heater for Intex Garden to my 16 x 32 rectangular pool. I think it warms it a few degrees.
    Those are way overpriced for the amount of heat they add. They are just too small to be of much use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator