Can Hayward LEDs Color Change with Pentair Automation?

joesc230

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2015
Central, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,

I recently had my Jandy AquaLink power center changed out for a Pentair EasyTouch (as I converted over to a IntelliChlor and IntelliChem). My current lights are Hayward ColorLogic LEDs and the installer is now telling me (after the fact) that all I can do with the Hayward LEDs on the Pentair system is turn them on and off - no color change possible.

Does anyone know if the Hayward lights should be able to be controlled by the Pentair automation? Or must I have Pentair lights?

Thanks!

I think your installer is correct. Automation is usually proprietary between Hayward and Pentair. A possible workaround might be to turn the lights off/on quickly to get to the color or mode you want. This is how Pentair lights change color/mode without automation. Not as convenient as just picking a color on your remote/phone but a way to change colors/mode if Hayward lights work the same way as Pentair. Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I did figure that out (that it will color change if I turn it off and on)...just a bummer, because before hiring him the installer told me everything would work the same with the lights. He's willing to install the Pentair lights with me just paying his cost on the lights and no charge for labor, but even then they're not inexpensive.

Guess I have to decide how much I'm willing to pay for the ability to select the colors. I heard the Pentair lights look nicer in the water...trying to convince myself :)

Everyone's financial situation is different, so difficult to make blanket recommendations. But, I change the color/mode of my lights all the time. "American" (red, white, blue for 4th of July), plain white for kids swimming at night, sometimes I change the spa light to something different from the pool, etc. it would drive me up the wall to try to do the quick off/on to try to select the right color/mode. Also, if you plan to have Screenlogic2, I would say 100% change out the lights.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd provide some resolution for anyone who searches the same topic.

The EasyTouch will control Hayward lights but the programming is different (and not customizable). So if you turn on "green", it will turn on a different color (or a light show). Basically, it turns the lights on/off until it thinks they are Green (based on Pentair programming). But because the programming is different, the lights will land on a different color than Green.

Unfortunately, our brand new pool was built with Hayward lights and I installed an EasyTouch system. I'm having the builder swap out the 2 lights so everything works correctly.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd provide some resolution for anyone who searches the same topic.

The EasyTouch will control Hayward lights but the programming is different (and not customizable). So if you turn on "green", it will turn on a different color (or a light show). Basically, it turns the lights on/off until it thinks they are Green (based on Pentair programming). But because the programming is different, the lights will land on a different color than Green.

Unfortunately, our brand new pool was built with Hayward lights and I installed an EasyTouch system. I'm having the builder swap out the 2 lights so everything works correctly.

Thanks for the update. Last year, I ended up asking the builder to swap my Hayward lights out for the Pentair lights and he was only able to do so for my spa light. I have two other lights in my pool and he said that he couldn't fit the Pentair housing in place of the Hayward light housing. Does anyone know if that could be true? It's really strange because he's a reputable builder in my area and is certified by Pentair. I believe he really doesn't think it's possible because he didn't even charge me for the $500+ spa light that he put in as he felt bad about the situation. Still isn't a great situation for me because now I have 1 Pentair light in my spa and 2 Hayward lights in my pool, and still no light programming features (except turning them on and off).

So you have EasyTouch and Hayward LED lights? Is what I said above correct....that the EasyTouch can turn them on and change colors but the programming is not matched up - so the colors are not correct???

I had the Pentair Field Service Manager at my house this morning...he's who explained why the EasyTouch wouldn't work with my Hayward lights. He recommended that the lights be swapped out for Pentair lights so they can be correctly controlled. I asked if it's a simple swap and he said it was....just remove the screws and fish the wire up conduit.

I haven't done it yet but I trust the Pentair rep who said I could without a problem.

I'm hoping there won't be much cost to me as the builder will use the Hayward lights on the next pool he installs.

Yes, I have EasyTouch and Hayward LEDs. The EasyTouch can turn the lights on. Each time the lights are turned off and back on, the light setting randomly changes to a different setting. I haven't been able to get the EasyTouch to try to switch the colors, as I had a Pentair tech come by last year and unsuccessfully try to do so. I'm going to follow up with the builder that I used last year to try to get him to give switching them out for the Pentair lights another shot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.