Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inground light

1. Back To Top    #1

Inground light

Most forums I am on have "for sale" or "wanted" sections. I couldnt find one here. I am in need of a cheap light with a 15' cord. It doesn't have to be anything special. This is a rental house, and I am a broke man, so I dont want to spend a ton of money on it. I don't even know how to check to see what exactly I need, or how to replace it, but I will figure it out with the help of you good people! Anyone have an old working light you can pass off to a brother? I assume I have to pull the light out to check it??
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Inground light

First thing I would do is pull it out so you know what to get. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do that usually it is just a single screw top or bottom and the light just tips out of the niche, if it was installed correctly there will be a coil of slack cord behind the light so you can bring it up to the deck. Then you can remove the screws that hold the lens on to see what kind of bulb you are dealing with.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

Will attempt to do that this weekend. Thanks!
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

OK... FINALLY took the light out and snapped some pics. I tried to search this light and can not find it. I don't see how the light attaches to the ring that attaches to the pool. Any help with this would be great.

20160611_164431.jpg

20160611_164437.jpg

20160612_174512.jpg

20160612_174442.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok

You have a Pac Fab 11990 Fixture

It requires a 500 watt t-3 bulb (you can buy smaller than 500 watts)

I would call SunPlay or Inyo Pools and tell them what you need they will sell the correct bulb.

Inyo Pools has several videos on how to change a bulb. How To: Replace A Swimming Pool or Spa Light - YouTube

You should also replace the gasket at the same time.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

AWESOME! Thanks.

Opinions on color LED bulbs? Is there an option for color changing via remote?

7. Back To Top    #7

There is but don't get your hopes up. Will one of those bulbs fit in your fixture? I don't know that. The one I do know that would fit is a 12 volt.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Hmm... OK. Well.... I guess I will pull the bulb and measure! Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Ok

You have a Pac Fab 11990 Fixture

It requires a 500 watt t-3 bulb (you can buy smaller than 500 watts)

I would call SunPlay or Inyo Pools and tell them what you need they will sell the correct bulb.

Inyo Pools has several videos on how to change a bulb. How To: Replace A Swimming Pool or Spa Light - YouTube

You should also replace the gasket at the same time.
    Both places said to get in touch with Pentair because it has been discontinued, which I did, and they haven't replied. I'm a little frustrated to be honest.

Is there anyone on the board who may have an old light that will work in my pool? I dont care about anything special, just a working light would be great!

10. Back To Top    #10

Check with INYO Pools they are pretty good at tracking down old stuff.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Check with INYO Pools they are pretty good at tracking down old stuff.
    I did. They said "call Pentair"

12. Back To Top    #12

Dude!!!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

IKR?!

14. Back To Top    #14

I told on them. Let's see what happens next!
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

NICE! Thanks lol

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry about this and by all means please tell on us as it makes us better =) Let me check again with Pentair on this as this is a light that was discontinued by them with no replacement, normally on there lights the old light can replaced by a Pentair Amerlite but this was an odd sized light and from my understanding none of there current lights will fit this niche. There is also the possibility of using a niche adapter plate, so I will check that route as well. I will post back to this thread what I find out. Sorry for the "swing and a miss" on the first attempt, hopefully we will do better the second time around.

Thank You
    Patrick

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Okay here is the information I have right now... the niche that the SunRay light fits into is a non-standard sized niche meaning that no currently manufactured light "out of the box" will fit the niche you have. What you will need is this Light Niche Adapter Ring Once the light adapter ring is installed into your niche, your niche can now accept a standard sized 500W 120V Pentair Amerlite W/ 15' Cord

I do have a call into Pentair to see if there is a light that they can suggest that will work right of the box but it is a long shot, I'm 99% sure there is not.

Also could you confirm the dimensions of the light, I believe you may have given these to me at one point but I could not track those down.

Here is a more detailed description from the manufacturer on how the light adapter ring works

ADAPTABLE LIGHT RINGS
    Converts A Light Niche to Accept A Standard Replacement Light
    Adaptable light rings will fit any metal or hand formed niche from 9-3/4” to 12” solving
    the problem of trying to repair an obsolete light, or trying to reconstruct a niche to fit a
    standard light. The unique feature of these light rings is that they can be installed
    in a few minutes and accept a standard light, Simply remove the old
    light, insert the Adaptable Light Ring, tighten the retaining screws, and install
    the new light. It’s that easy.

The Adaptable Light Rings are part of our Consolidation Program. Instead of
    stocking hundreds of light parts to cover the multitude of possible replacement
    applications in the field, the Adaptable Light Ring allows you to stock a few of
    the most popular replacement lights.

As part of our Consolidation Program, our 500P model
    adapts to same lights that fit all 500, 500B, 500C models.
    Constructed from rugged ABS (plastic) for durability that
    offers the added benefit of light weight for easy handling and
    shipping. The unique design features a ground strap
    molded into the casing
    Thank You
    Patrick

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by patrick3229 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm sorry about this and by all means please tell on us as it makes us better =) Let me check again with Pentair on this as this is a light that was discontinued by them with no replacement, normally on there lights the old light can replaced by a Pentair Amerlite but this was an odd sized light and from my understanding none of there current lights will fit this niche. There is also the possibility of using a niche adapter plate, so I will check that route as well. I will post back to this thread what I find out. Sorry for the "swing and a miss" on the first attempt, hopefully we will do better the second time around.

Thank You
    Patrick
    Thanks Patrick! Pentair got back to me. They sent me the owners manual lol. It is starting to look like this is going to cost more than I can spend on it

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Hi DontFillitin,

Thanks so much! Did you see my latest post about the light adapter ring, as it looks like we posted at the exact same time =)

Thanks
    Patrick

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by patrick3229 View Post
    Hi DontFillitin,

Thanks so much! Did you see my latest post about the light adapter ring, as it looks like we posted at the exact same time =)

Thanks
    Patrick
    I didn't see it lol! Yeah, it looks like I'm not going to be able to fix this, as much as I want to. I simply can't justify spending so much on it when this may be our last summer at this house.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking for a "cheap fix"

- - - Updated - - -

I would have easily spent the money on a bulb, gasket, and possibly even the ring, but having to buy a whole light, and adapter is just out of my budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast