cleaning pre-filter

denno

Bronze Supporter
Dec 30, 2015
Mt Airy/NC
-I just installed my ag pool in April, and thanks to the guidance I received on this site, pretty much everything is looking ok. However, before my pentair pump there is a filter that the manual states is for hair, leaves and I guess other larger particles. They also state that it should be cleaned periodically, but not much in how to proceed. Just a quick picture in my head shows the hose from the skimmer down to this filter, mounted in front of the pump. It has a see-through lid that twists off for cleaning. I did one cleaning, turning off the pump and bleeding air before twisting the lid off. It had accumulated much debris, but the problem is all the water coming from the skimmer, before I quickly twisted the lid back on. So, I wondered if anyone else had a similar setup and how they solved it. (maybe a plug in the bottom of the skimmer?--1 1/2 inch hose)

Just so you know... that "prefilter" is called the pump strainer basket.

Yes, plug the pool openings somehow when you empty the basket. Doesn't matter what. Rubber stoppers, expansion plugs, shutoff valves, a carrot crammed in the openings...

And here's another tip: if your skimmer has a liftout basket as well, you can stretch a skimmer sock or a paint strainer or a hairnet or a knee-high nylon over it and catch all that stuff before it gets to the pump. Don't try it with the pump strainer basket, though.

-Ok, Richard, appreciate the speedy reply. Yes, I do have a basket in my skimmer, and some paint strainers, so will give that a try. And will search for a good fitting plug(instead of a carrot! Ha!) Thanks for the answers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.