Cloudy pool+Newbie=frustrated

Jun 3, 2016
Wellston
This is not a new pool but I am a new pool owner. I have a 15 x 48 intex, cartridge filter, using spring water to fill. Previous homeowners did not cover pool for winter so I had A TON of debris and green as grass water color. I skimmed and brushed and added 1 gallon of liquid shock. Next day water clear but pool dirty. Brushed and skimmed for a whole day and got cloudy greyish water. Levels showed no Cl, no Br, no ph.waited 24 hours and added ph increaser. Added 3" chlorine disk. Brought up ph to 8 but still no Cl or Br. Ran pump for 24 straight put 1/2 gallon of shock in last night(15 hours ago) Cl, br and ph all reading the highest reading on my test. Now what do I do. Let ride...add more chemicals...??

Welcome.

At the risk of being too blunt, You are guessing, and throwing different chemicals into the water at haphazard intervals is not helping matters.

You need to take a run through Pool School. You also need to test the water on your own and know exactly what the levels are. How are you testing the water now? There is a link for the TF-100 test kit in my signature. Best advice is to order it and post a full panel of test results (FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA, CH) upon receipt. FYI, there is no such thing as no pH. It's either low or high (BTW, 8.0 is too high).

In the meantime, make sure you get as much debris as possible and you can add some liquid chlorine daily...about 60 oz of 8.25%. With little to no CYA, the organics and the sun should bring FC levels down to near zero again pretty quickly.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the first problem is I don't have the correct test kit. I just have HTC test for Cl, Br and pH. I know there's no such thing as no pH. It just had nothing registering when I tested. Will get new kit yiu suggested and post levels. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

Well, you know how we feel about testing. :) Pool store tests are no better, so we would not recommend taking any action based on these results alone. But if we were to play along as use these numbers as an experiment only, I would say your pH is slightly elevated (should be around 7.6) and your FC is very low (allowing algae) and you need to "SLAM". For now I would simply recommend adding about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to your water each evening and keep sweeping the pool to keep algae broken-up. We'll help you fix this when your test kit arrives.

In the meantime, please update your signature and read the SLAM page (link below). That is will your focus will be when your kit arrives. Have a nice day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.