Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool+Newbie=frustrated

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool+Newbie=frustrated

This is not a new pool but I am a new pool owner. I have a 15 x 48 intex, cartridge filter, using spring water to fill. Previous homeowners did not cover pool for winter so I had A TON of debris and green as grass water color. I skimmed and brushed and added 1 gallon of liquid shock. Next day water clear but pool dirty. Brushed and skimmed for a whole day and got cloudy greyish water. Levels showed no Cl, no Br, no ph.waited 24 hours and added ph increaser. Added 3" chlorine disk. Brought up ph to 8 but still no Cl or Br. Ran pump for 24 straight put 1/2 gallon of shock in last night(15 hours ago) Cl, br and ph all reading the highest reading on my test. Now what do I do. Let ride...add more chemicals...??

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cloudy pool+Newbie=frustrated

Welcome to the forum.

add more chemicals...??
    No. You currently do not have a grasp of the chemistry you are putting in. You need to stop guessing and find out hwat does what in your pool. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You need a good kit ( TFTestkits.net ) to measure all the values including CYA so that you know your shock level.

Time to SLAM. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome.

At the risk of being too blunt, You are guessing, and throwing different chemicals into the water at haphazard intervals is not helping matters.

You need to take a run through Pool School. You also need to test the water on your own and know exactly what the levels are. How are you testing the water now? There is a link for the TF-100 test kit in my signature. Best advice is to order it and post a full panel of test results (FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA, CH) upon receipt. FYI, there is no such thing as no pH. It's either low or high (BTW, 8.0 is too high).

In the meantime, make sure you get as much debris as possible and you can add some liquid chlorine daily...about 60 oz of 8.25%. With little to no CYA, the organics and the sun should bring FC levels down to near zero again pretty quickly.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the first problem is I don't have the correct test kit. I just have HTC test for Cl, Br and pH. I know there's no such thing as no pH. It just had nothing registering when I tested. Will get new kit yiu suggested and post levels. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

6. Back To Top    #6

Here are my levels from the pool store while i wait for my test kit.
    FC .26. CC .37, CH 101, TA 75, CYA 41 PH 7.9

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, you know how we feel about testing. Pool store tests are no better, so we would not recommend taking any action based on these results alone. But if we were to play along as use these numbers as an experiment only, I would say your pH is slightly elevated (should be around 7.6) and your FC is very low (allowing algae) and you need to "SLAM". For now I would simply recommend adding about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to your water each evening and keep sweeping the pool to keep algae broken-up. We'll help you fix this when your test kit arrives.

In the meantime, please update your signature and read the SLAM page (link below). That is will your focus will be when your kit arrives. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks! I cannot do signature. I use a phone not a computer and it won't allow me😯

9. Back To Top    #9

Open TFP in a browser on your phone and go to Settings then you can add your state to your location so we know what climate we are helping you with and you can enter a signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the help.
    15 x 48 Intex 5300 gallon AG vinyl with 1500gph Krystal Clear 637r cartrige filter pump. Filled by spring water. TFTestkit..TF-100.

11. Back To Top    #11

THANKS! I can see your siggy!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit