Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Difference b/t Taylor R-0004 and R-0014

1. Back To Top    #1

Difference b/t Taylor R-0004 and R-0014

Both reagents are "Phenol Red". But I think they are different products. Possibly for different kits.

My kit (don't flame me) is a K-2005. Which contains the R-0014. I was running low last year so I ordered a replacement vial. I never realized until just last night that what I ordered was R-0004. Are these different phenol reds? Because I used both last night and the replacement vial doesn't match ANY color on the K-2005 kit. It turns Orange. See photos:

replacement on left - original on right

Test results with original - 7.3 - 7.4 pH?

Test results with the refill:
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Difference b/t Taylor R-0004 and R-0014

They're not interchangeable.

If you use the search box for R-0014 you'll find a whole lot of info.

This thread shows the difference the best still cannot get a bead on my pH
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Difference b/t Taylor R-0004 and R-0014

Thanks Richard. That dude had the same issue as me. Now I guess it's me who owes you a beer.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?