New Hayward MaxFlo VSP pump - configuration question

Oct 30, 2008
We installed our new Hayward MaxFlo VSP pump yesterday and opened our pool. Now to figure out how often to run it, for how long, and at what speed.

The default timer seems to runs pretty much 24 hours a day at 1725RPM. The pump can be set to speeds from 600-3450RPM. Reading through the documentation states that running the pump at lower speeds is more energy efficient, improves filtration, is quieter, and causes less stress on equipment which can lengthen life. However, I can't figure out how to determine what I need to do to ensure that I've turned over the water at least once every 24 hours.

With our old single-speed pump, I knew what the gallons per minute rate was, and could calculate how long to run it each day. We had determined that 10 hours a day was sufficient, so had the pump come on 4 hours a day for 2.5 hrs each time.

I can't find any gallon per minute rate for this pump at the various speeds, so I'm not sure how to configure it. Since we typically run the pump full time for the first few days after opening the pool as we get it sparkling clean and get the chemicals balanced, I'm okay leaving it at the default for now. But I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I can calculate how much I need to run it and what's the most efficient set up.

Thanks for any advice!

The old standby of turn the water over every 24 hours is widely believed to be excessive but if that is what you are used to it certainly will not cause a problem. I run my pump at 1100 RPM for approx. 5 hours a day split into 4 intervals during the day and 1 30 min cycle at 2000 with the Polaris running and the water is clear as can be. The 4 intervals are aprox 4 hours apart I do this because it can get windy during the day where I live and this allows me to spread out my skimming opportunities without having to run the pump 12+ hours a day.

As for a pump curve take a look at THIS but keep in mind it is marketing info I would decrease the estimates by at least 30% maybe more like 50% depends on your plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.