Can't figure it out

cfs501

Jun 3, 2016
Lancaster, Ohio
Please help. Just put up Intex pop up last week and can't get water clear. We have some strikes against us - since we used our well water, it took awhile before we could get filter going. I kept adding bleach and it would kill the algae and fall to bottom, but we didn't have a way to get it out. Now it is full and can't clear.

Taylor K-2006 test
PH:7.6
FC: after 20 drops, still pink using .5ppm measurement
TA: 450ppm
CYA: none

20160603_082852.jpg

I caved and went to the local pool store - they recommended a metal magnet due to the well water, which spiked my PH. I added the muratic acid and got that back down. What do I do next??? We just want to enjoy the pool!!!

thanks in advance for the gift of your time to help us out!

Ok, so it isn't part of a bad batch. Why did you stop after 20 drops?

You may or may not have metals in the water, but metals turn water a clear green and yours is very cloudy. Truth be told, with a pool that size it would be faster and most cost effective to just drain it and start over. Upon startup you will want to add CYA to avoid potential liner damage and protect your chlorine from sunlight.

If you would rather not drain then you still need to get some CYA in the pool or you risk damaging the liner. Then you need to follow the procedures on this page: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. A 1-time addition of chlorine is rarely enough to kill everything, the FC level must be kept up until you pass ALL 3 criteria listed on the SLAM page. A heads up too, intex filters are not very good so it may take a while for the pool to clear.

The cheapest CYA is granular and can sometimes be found in Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowes under the code names of stabilizer or conditioner. Use pool math to determine the amount, put it in a sock or panty hose and and hang it in front of a return. Give the sock a squeeze a few times a day.

I recommend that you do not to use powders or pucks as it can raise your CYA too high. Stick to plain generic bleach as your FC source.

The powder is the most cost efficient, you can get it at Meijer, WalMart, Menards (though Menards' is labeled weird it is the same thing). It will be listed as Stabilizer or Conditioner usually. Put the appropriate amount in a sock, tie it off, and let it hang in front of the return so it can slowly dissolve.

The places mentioned above also all carry liquid chlorine that tends to be a better value than regular bleach, similar price for higher strength.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.