Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't figure it out

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Can't figure it out

Please help. Just put up Intex pop up last week and can't get water clear. We have some strikes against us - since we used our well water, it took awhile before we could get filter going. I kept adding bleach and it would kill the algae and fall to bottom, but we didn't have a way to get it out. Now it is full and can't clear.

Taylor K-2006 test
    PH:7.6
    FC: after 20 drops, still pink using .5ppm measurement
    TA: 450ppm
    CYA: none

20160603_082852.jpg

I caved and went to the local pool store - they recommended a metal magnet due to the well water, which spiked my PH. I added the muratic acid and got that back down. What do I do next??? We just want to enjoy the pool!!!

thanks in advance for the gift of your time to help us out!
    Intex easy up
    4000 gallons
    Intex filter pump
    15' round by 36" of water
    above ground

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can't figure it out

First, welcome to TFP!

Before you do anything check the lot number of your R-0871 bottle, is it from lot B1067?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Lot # B2018

- - - Updated - - -

OH and I forgot to mention I did do a Shock treatment as well a few days ago.
    Intex easy up
    4000 gallons
    Intex filter pump
    above ground

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Ok, so it isn't part of a bad batch. Why did you stop after 20 drops?

You may or may not have metals in the water, but metals turn water a clear green and yours is very cloudy. Truth be told, with a pool that size it would be faster and most cost effective to just drain it and start over. Upon startup you will want to add CYA to avoid potential liner damage and protect your chlorine from sunlight.

If you would rather not drain then you still need to get some CYA in the pool or you risk damaging the liner. Then you need to follow the procedures on this page: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. A 1-time addition of chlorine is rarely enough to kill everything, the FC level must be kept up until you pass ALL 3 criteria listed on the SLAM page. A heads up too, intex filters are not very good so it may take a while for the pool to clear.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Yeah, i would dump the water and start over. Your pool is small and the intex filter will take a really long time to clear the water.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks! what form does CYA come best?
    Intex easy up
    4000 gallons
    Intex filter pump
    above ground

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

The cheapest CYA is granular and can sometimes be found in Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowes under the code names of stabilizer or conditioner. Use pool math to determine the amount, put it in a sock or panty hose and and hang it in front of a return. Give the sock a squeeze a few times a day.

I recommend that you do not to use powders or pucks as it can raise your CYA too high. Stick to plain generic bleach as your FC source.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The powder is the most cost efficient, you can get it at Meijer, WalMart, Menards (though Menards' is labeled weird it is the same thing). It will be listed as Stabilizer or Conditioner usually. Put the appropriate amount in a sock, tie it off, and let it hang in front of the return so it can slowly dissolve.

The places mentioned above also all carry liquid chlorine that tends to be a better value than regular bleach, similar price for higher strength.

9. Back To Top    #9

More here on pool chemicals, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach