Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine cloud... what causes that?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine cloud... what causes that?

I'll spare you the details but I let my chlorine levels get too low and my water got a little cloudy so I'm currently in day 2 of my very first SLAM.

When I started the SLAM and added the liquid chlorine (8.25% jugs), as the chlorine would go into the water, the chlorine would immediately turn the surrounding water very cloudy. I've never seen chlorine do this before in my pool when I add it directly to the water. I also purchased 10% chlorine and it did the same so I can rule out a bad batch of chlorine.

After adding the chlorine needed to reach shock level per the Chlorine/CYA chart, the pool turned a solid white. I could not even see the main drain in the deep end.

I assume the "white cloud" is the result of the chlorine immediately oxidizing some organics? Is there any other water chemistry variable that may cause chlorine to behave this way (I think really high CH may do this but I'm not sure).

Since adding chlorine is turning the water so cloudy, I last added chlorine via the skimmer since I have my pool heater isolated (via pool valves) and no pool water is currently circulating through the heater.

The overall cloudiness of the water has improved since yesterday when it turned so white. This morning, I can now see the main drain although the water is still very cloudy. The filter has been running 24/7.

Here are my TFT-100 numbers as of a few minutes ago when I last tested.

FC: 29
    CC: 0
    pH: It was 7.2 when I started the SLAM
    TA: 70
    CYA: 60
    CH: 250
    SALT: 3800 (My SWG calls for 4000ppm so this is close enough)
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine cloud... what causes that?

Bleach has a high pH so it can temporarily drive your pH up in a local area. As the hypochlorite is consumed in the pool, the pH returns to the initial pH before you added bleach. Bleach is a net zero change in pH product because of this. This can cause some temporary haziness if your CH or overall CSI is on the high end but that does not appear to be the case. If you had active algae or even some bacteria, when they were being oxidized by the bleach, that could be the haze as well. Are you seeing your filter pressure rise as it filters the dead contaminants?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

The filter pressure has not risen noticeably but I went ahead and swapped the cartridge element with a clean one. I'll be cleaning the dirty one today.

4. Back To Top    #4

Meant to update this a while back. It's been a while since my SLAM and the pool water continues to turn white whenever I add liquid chlorine to the water.

Liquid chlorine reaction - YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

You are better off pouring the chlorine in front of a return other than in your skimmer. Not sure what you are seeing but the FC was probably trying to oxidize those leaves in your skimmer.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

It does that regardless of where I pour it. If I pour it in the pool, it looks much worse.

I don't have traditional returns. My pool has an in-floor cleaner so the returns are the pool floor pop-up heads, not regular wall returns.

7. Back To Top    #7

Make sure that you are using just regular bleach not any scented. When I pour mine in it looks like a yellow cloud. Not sure what's going on with what you are seeing.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah that was pool store 10% chlorine in the video.