Leak help

Aug 4, 2015
LAWRENCEBURG, IN
Ok, I have discovered that I definitely have am losing water in my pool to a leak. I noticed I was losing around an inch and a half or more of water in around 24 hours. So here are the steps I've taken so far:
2 days ago I filled to normal level (little over half way up the skimmer inlet).
Performed the bucket test without the pump running (did not notice losing water through plumbing, but all lines are underground.)
Only thing I did not do was plug returns or skimmers, do I need to reperform test with doing this?
Bucket test definitely showed the pool is leaking. Didn't lose hardly any water to evaporation in the bucket. It seems my pool level dropped to the same point it was with the pump running previously.
So, my next step I am doing is leaving the pump off for another 24 hours, I marked the water level on my skimmer inlet to see if it drops anymore.
Am I taking the right steps? And would should my next step be? Thanks for any help, been a rough start to the pool season.
And I also leave in a week for a 7 day vacation

You are on the right track. Here is an article from Pool School that might help if you haven't seen it already. Pool School - Leak Detection

Also a leak detection company can usually find the leaks for a few hundred dollars same day. You can put a hose end timer on your hose and have it run for 30 minutes a day (or whatever) to keep the pool filled while you are on vaca.

Ok, I have returned from vacation and ready to tackle this problem if possible. I had to just let the pool sit while I was gone, so it is good and green. Before I left, I let the pool continue to fall without adding water. I put the plugs in my return jets as well. Before I left, the water was about an inch and half below the returns. I had my dad come check the level a few times and it has stopped dropping roughly 2 inches below the returns. I removed my steps an ladder today and started to investigate. I was losing roughly 1 1/2 to 2 inches a day and suspected to see something pretty easy. So far, nothing. There is a light patch in the liner where the ladder was against it, but is not ripped. Any suggestions on what to do or do I need to call in someone?
Any help or thoughts appreciated, I know I can count on this forum. Thanks in advance

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.