Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got my K-2006 Here are my Levels, now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got my K-2006 Here are my Levels, now what?

FC = 13ppm
    CC = 0.5
    PH = 7.4
    TA = 180
    CH = 290
    CYA = 150

For some reason my FC is a bit off the charts, I guess the pool store sold me to much shock...
    Probably need to get that down before swimming.
    Any advice on how everything else looks and how I should bring down my FC?
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Just got my K-2006 Here are my Levels, now what?

FC will be reduced very naturally by UV rays from the sun. What is your CYA? Is that your CA?

If so that number is quite high and more important to worry about than your FC.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah my mistake, I meant CYA, what should I do about that high reading?

About the FC, it's taking a long time to go down, it's been about a week and a half. It was 14.5 at pool opening. Should I try a chemical to quicken things up so I can swim? What FC is safe to swim?

65,000 liter / 17,171 gallon pool with vinyl liner. STA-Rite Sand Filter Model T-200BP-1. STA-Rite 1hp Pump Model MPRA6E-147L. Laars Lite 2 Heater with Jandy Control Panel. Hayward Chlorinator Model CL220. Intermatic Timer.

4. Back To Top    #4

Please add your State to your location in your profile so we can make a better recommendation for your CYA level. And add your pool info to your signature so that we can make better recommendations about draining your pool to reduce CYA.

it is safe to swim when
    Ph is 7.2 to 7.8
    FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart
    Water is clear
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the reply, I have added a signature with my pool info as well as my location in my profile. Any advice as to what I should do to get things balanced would be appreciated.

Regarding the chlorine chart, so what I'm understanding is that having a high chlorine level of 13ppm is not necessarily bad as long as my stabilizer CYA is high as well? So it seems like my CYA and FC are ok in relation to each other but they both seem pretty high, should something be done or will the sun slowly bring these levels down to earth?
    65,000 liter / 17,171 gallon pool with vinyl liner. STA-Rite Sand Filter Model T-200BP-1. STA-Rite 1hp Pump Model MPRA6E-147L. Laars Lite 2 Heater with Jandy Control Panel. Hayward Chlorinator Model CL220. Intermatic Timer.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If my math is right, your minimum FC at that CYA is 11. The sun will burn a little FC off every day, CYA is reduced by water replacement.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Right, you are fine with the chlorine/CYA levels you have. Chlorine level should always be based on CYA level and be kept above minimum at all times. As noted by mrbruce, the sun will bring down FC but not CYA. The only way to lower CYA is through partial drains of the pool. Your ideal level for CYA is 30 ppm. But, it is manageable up to 80 ppm or so if you maintain higher FC levels, which you have a good understanding of. The main problem with CYA higher than 100 is that the PH test is invalid when FC is above 10 ppm.

So, partial drains and refill to lower CYA. With a vinyl pool it is very important to always leave 1 foot of water in the shallow end to hold the liner in place so that it does not shift or shrink.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks so much for the explanation. Very clear and informative.