Connect iPhone to 2 bluetooth receivers?

lands

Apr 19, 2016
Redondo Beach
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out a solution for a low cost but good sounding outdoor sound system by my pool. Thanks to this forum and this thread, I'm really excited about using a similar solution (small amp + bluetooth in outdoor box + wired speakers).

What I'm wondering is if I can have my iPhone connected to 2 bluetooth receivers at once? I have a feeling the answer is no, but thought I'd ask. There seems to be a lot of creative solutions in this forum.

The situation is that my living room has a bluetooth denon receiver and speakers that we generally play. I can't run wires from it to the outside area, so best case would be if my phone could stream to both the indoor and outdoor system.

EDIT: Google seems to tell me no! :) Any creative suggestions welcome though.

Thanks,

L

I have 2 pairs of speakers outside on my decks, both wired to different sources. At one time I was using my Apple AirPort Express to send music from iTunes wireless to the AirPort Express, then optical(digital) to a DAC --> amp, but that still required a run of wires. There are many possibilities with using your wireless network if you get creative.

Why wouldn't you be able to run the wires?

Are you saying that you are going to run the outside speakers via another receiver?

If so, you can buy 2 Chromecast Audio's (1 for each receiver). CCA's have the ability to group to one another and play the same thing.

For instance:
CCA1 = Living Room
CCA2 = Outside
Group = House Party ( which consist of CCA1 and CCA2 )

When playing through "House Party", the music will be casts in sync to both CCA's

Also, you will not be playing through Blutooth, but rather your wifi. Furthermore, there is also a "Guest" feature that allows anyone else at your party to play DJ through their phones.

All this being said; it doesn't support AirPlay (apple's version of cast). So you wouldn't be able to play music stored on your phone. However Spotify, Pandora, and many others are supported.

Thanks to both of you for the reply.

Why wouldn't you be able to run the wires?

Are you saying that you are going to run the outside speakers via another receiver?

If so, you can buy 2 Chromecast Audio's (1 for each receiver). CCA's have the ability to group to one another and play the same thing.

For instance:
CCA1 = Living Room
CCA2 = Outside
Group = House Party ( which consist of CCA1 and CCA2 )

When playing through "House Party", the music will be casts in sync to both CCA's

Also, you will not be playing through Blutooth, but rather your wifi. Furthermore, there is also a "Guest" feature that allows anyone else at your party to play DJ through their phones.

All this being said; it doesn't support AirPlay (apple's version of cast). So you wouldn't be able to play music stored on your phone. However Spotify, Pandora, and many others are supported.

To clarify, I can't easily run speaker wire from my setup inside to the outside patio. That would by far be the best way to do it.

I do have a power outlet just around the corner from the deck, which is why seeing the setup that many here have done (with a small amp + bluetooth in small box) intriguing. My experience with wireless speakers is that they never seem to get enough power or sound very good. The ability to power them with an small amp might work.

Chromecast audio: that sounds like a great solution, but not supporting AirPlay is a bummer (I hate the Google/Apple wars).

Yea, pulling wire is no fun (especially on newer homes that have fire breaks half way down the wall). Even though we were the first to live in ours, it was already built before we found it. So if I ever build a home, I will be certain that raceways are put in to pull cables and wires easily.

Here's what I did just last week: Taped 3 super long strands of weed eater line to coax in the living room (can be any wire behind entertainment center or where ever your receiver is located....so if you have say a phone wire that isn't used, even better since it's smaller and if for some reason the tape breaks, you're not without cable). Gently pulled coax up into attic with 3 attached weed eater lines. Then used the lines to pull speaker wires and coax back down, one at a time so that they weren't all trying to get through the hole at once.

I just really wanted my component equipment indoors.

Sounds like you found a good solution, but you're right about the amount of work.

Wanted to update my findings. It appears that that you can use the Allcast iPhone app to connect to Google Chromecast Audio. AllCast — Cast photos, music, and video to your Chromecast on the App Store

It's still not a great solution, as it's nice to have all the various visitors connect with their phones as well, and they probably wouldn't have that app. Still, it's worth noting and considering.

I thought I'd update my situation with my temp solution. I found a deal on this Rocket Fish bluetooth speaker:

Amazon.com: Rocketfish Indoor/Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker - Black RF-WSP313: Cell Phones Accessories

Although you can't replicate what you can get out of two speakers, this darn thing sounds really good. It's rechargeable battery lasts 6+ hours and it has great bass. I've never heard a wireless speaker that came close to it.

I'm sure it's not the solution for everyone, but it's good enough now for us.

And regarding my original question about hooking up two sources, because this has a mini-plug input, I might be able to hookup a google audio chrome. I guess I'd need to power that though.

Take care,

L

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.