Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our Granddaughter has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease, which is a very contagious and common virus. She is coming to visit this weekend. Her pediatrician said no to pool time because she's worried about someone else catching it in the water. I'm thinking that my TFP with its proper FC level would be fine. Just to be extra cautious, I'd bring it up to SLAM level for a few hours after she's done.

What do you guys think? It would be only my husband, granddaughter, and me in the pool this weekend. No other guests planned for two weeks.

It is possible to get infected with the viruses that cause hand, foot, and mouth disease if you swallow recreational water, such as water in swimming pools. However, this is not very common. This is more likely to happen if the water becomes contaminated with feces from a person who has hand, foot, and mouth disease and is not properly treated with chlorine.

Hand Foot and Mouth Disease | Causes and Transmission | HFMD | CDC

Probably have to defer to the doctor on this.

Hand foot and mouth disease can be pretty miserable---so I wouldn't think she'd want to swim if she's in the active phase of the disease with fevers and blisters. Transmission can come from the saliva for upwards of a 7-10 days and from feces for much longer (definitely no pooping in the pool!) If she has been afebrile for 48+ hours and has healing blisters she's probably through the worst of it. I think it really comes down to your comfort level and accepting that you could potentially catch it. Keeping the pool at the high end of regular chlorine levels when she's in it and then superchlorinating when she's headed home is likely fine. You are probably more at risk of getting the disease yourself from cuddles/smooches and sharing utensils or drinking glasses. This virus goes like wildfire through little kids (think daycares/schools/camps) but the transmission to adults is less common.

From the CDC website:
--It is possible to get infected with the viruses that cause hand, foot, and mouth disease if you swallow recreational water, such as water in swimming pools. However, this is not very common. This is more likely to happen if the water becomes contaminated with feces from a person who has hand, foot, and mouth disease and is not properly treated with chlorine. (**I didn't see specific chlorination recommendations)

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing, or contact with blister fluid or feces (stool) of an infected person. You can lower your risk of being infected by
-Washing your hands often with soap and water
-Disinfecting dirty surfaces and soiled items
-Avoiding close contact such as kissing, hugging, or sharing eating utensils or cups with infected people

Hope the kiddo is feeling better for her visit---whether she uses the pool or not!

Thanks. We'll be skipping the pool this visit.

She's past the fever phase, but lots of blisters. We babysat her on Wednesday, the day she was diagnosed, but didn't learn what she had until the end of the day. Lots of cuddles and kisses for our sick little girl, so if we're not already immune, we're getting it anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.