Avon Park, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
On the pool calculator it states my FC goal is between 4 and 8. I haven't got the TF test kit yet and I am using a test kit from Pinch A Penny. My question is, why does it show on the FC test that anything above 5 is too high? Am I still supposed to get it between 4 and 8 or is 5 really too high?

Hey,

4-8ppm is your goal. Many kits still think "old-school" and don't consider the buffering affect CYA has on your FC. It is not uncommon, as you probably saw on the chart for FC to be up in the 30's to shock a pool with hgih CYA.

I realize you're not shocking but just wanted to point out that the thinking of FC over 5 as too hiogh is antiquated.

Ok, I will work with that goal. Also, I read on here where it says to add chlorine at night. I run my pump during the day. Is it better to run it at night when I add the chlorine or run it during the day?

You want to add chemicals while the pump is running, and let it run a while after (at least 1/2 hour, preferably more) to give them a chance to circulate properly.

It's best to add chlorine after the sun is off the pool for the day, because sunlight will burn up some of your FC; so, your FC has the best chance to attack algae etc if it has all night to work.

I try to arrange things so the pump turns off before the kids go to bed, because the pump is right outside their rooms. So I'm doing the testing and chemical stuff right at quittin' time rather than after supper.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.