Hello TFP People,
I've been lurking off and on for a little while, and have learned alot from what I've read. I'm afraid my new pool is quickly turning into a disaster build. I live around the DFW area, and after interviewing several PB's, I settled on one, who was local, had been in business a while, and had built for a few people we knew. We came up with our plans, got our financing squared away, and then waited a bit due to rain.
Last Saturday, the PB booked the excavation crew, despite the week calling for rain. We expressed no desire to press in the rain, and even stated quite clearly our preference to wait. He basically said it could always rain, and they would get it done quickly during the break in rain. I asked repeatedly about the steel and gunite people, and he said the steel crew would be in the next day, with gunite right after that. Well, he forgot about the holiday weekend and we got lots of rain, some minor caving but nothing major. Steel guys came out, and had to start and stop because of continued rain, but after two days got it done. Massive storm last night, lots of water, and about 3' of water in deep end resulted.
Today with forecast calling for even more rain, and gunite crew showed up at 0630 and went to work trying to beat the rain. PB didn't inform crews of the distance, so pushing the gunite took a while. It also took a while to drain the deep end with a sump pump, and in the end, never really got it empty. They did have plastic and masonite down behind the deep end steel. The sump pump ran all day, never getting empty. Still running in fact. The pushed water around toward the pump using the gunite gun. Nevertheless, they made some progress, getting about 1/3 done until the forecast rain hit, and they called it quits to return tomorrow. And yes, there is more rain in forecast for tomorrow.
My big concern is how well will the gunite sprayed tomorrow(or whenever) bond with the gunite they did today?
Alot of the gunite they did today kinda washed out on the bottom. Can they simply spray on top of it again?
There's still a mess in the deep end, that I'm not sure how they are going to resolve.
How big a hit is all this going to be to the structural integrity of the pool?
At every step of the way, I expressed concern for what was going on, and for their doing this in such crappy conditions, and the PB just pretty much blew me off. I've got lots of pics and video, and even pics of him watching what was occurring. I get the feeling he gambled and lost on the weather, and is now in over his head. He said that this is the worst rain he's dealt with while building a pool.
I've attached some pics. What do ya'll think?