Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A Different Kind of TFP Success Story

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

A Different Kind of TFP Success Story

My son suffers from a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa. (Don't Google it if you are eating, lol.) he gets painful bumps and abscesses in several areas. The doctors have mentioned bleach baths., which my son was unable to do due to his height and our small bath tub. As his conditioned worsened slowly over the last 3 years, I had noted it was better in the summer. Which is a bit surprising at first glance, as part of it has to do with sweat glands, possibly. Anyhow, he went off all medicines last week and started swimming, as it finally got warm enough.his skin has gotten about 50% better! The doctors were really surprised. I have TFP to thank for some of that success! I explained to them that our pool was very similar to the bleach bath, as I don't add an unnecessary chemicals. They then recommended he swim at the local YMCA during the winter. My quick reply was "onlY if I could sneak in there with my test kit first!" It garnered a couple of big laughs, lol.

I am not quick to let him swim anywhere else, because I know my water is properly sanitized. If things completely heal up, I may feel differently.

So thank you for hosting this awesome site, I am thankful I stumbled upon it 4 years ago!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A Different Kind of TFP Success Story

That's a nice story, and I'm glad your son is able to benefit from the experience of your TFP pool.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Another example of how swimming is very beneficial for one's health.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good stuff. Pick up a cheap and/or used hot tub and he can sit in bleach all winter too! . We love ours.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a truly wonderful story. Thanks!!

I had a time of it with skin as a kid, embarrassing beyond words, and I won't give details! haha. I almost always felt better for days after swimming in a pool (or in the ocean for me). They tried everything from pills, no citrus, cortisone, no tomatoes, no milk, more pills, milk baths, blah blah blah. I'm sure nothing as challenging as your son, but I remember saying... "can't we just go swimming?!?"
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

6. Back To Top    #6

I like the idea of a Hot Tub for the colder times. You can run it just like the pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

He's been begging for a hot tub for two years, ha ha. Never thought about the benefit for his skin, doh.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

hehe TFP in for the win! You are getting a hot tub! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach