New pump just turned off and now it won't start

May 20, 2016
Harmony, RI
Hi,

We just purchased a brand new Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1.5hp pump a few weeks ago. It has been used 24/7 quite a bit the past week or two as we are going through a SLAM cycle on an outdoor pool that was left open to the elements for several years before we purchased the house. This evening, while I was standing right next to it, the pump suddenly turned off without me having flipped the switch. It won't turn on when I flip the power switch back and forth.

I used a tester to confirm the outlet is getting power. I took the cover off the skimmer and made sure it wasn't clogged up. Water free flows out of the hose from the skimmer basket when the skimmer is uncapped so there is no evidence of a clog between skimmer basket and pump. I cleared all de rise from the pump skimmer but it was minimal.

Im at a loss here with regards to what should be done next. I've never owned a pool before and have no experience to draw from. Any ideas? Immediately prior to the shut-off I pulled the skimmer basket out against significant auction force because it was pretty clogged up. I'm now seeing that I probably should have turned the pump off before pulling the skimmer basket out. Could that have been what did it?

Thanks in advance!

Just to rule-out a physical blockage, by any chance have you checked (with power off) to see if the impeller turns freely inside the pump? Usually you can reach it with your fingers from inside the pump strainer basket or by using a small, narrow tool (i.e. screwdriver, dowel rod, etc). Just to make sure something didn't get wrapped around it and is preventing it from turning?

After a bit of poking around and experimenting, it ended up being a problem with the outlet. The receptacle itself tested hot but the power cord coming out of it did not. I plugged the pump in to another outlet and it works. I guess I just happened to be standing next to it when the outlet gave out.

Thanks for for your suggestion! I did in fact ensure that the impeller was spinning freely on your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.