Sand Filter High Pressure

Krad

Jun 2, 2016
Newton NH
When I start the filter it is around 13-14 psi, after about 30 minutes it jumps to 20. We just changed the sand in the filter, so that is not the problem. The water is blue, but cloudy. Backwashing brings pressure down, but jumps back up after about 30 minutes again. Water is definitely not moving around as much when pressure is higher. Water movement seems normal on recirculate. Gauge goes to 0 when filter is off, so gauge appears to be working fine. Pool is 24ft. round above ground. What should I do next?

Welcome to TFP!

How long are you back washing? Could take 3 minutes or so to really clean the filter.

How big is the filter and what HP is the pump?

What should I do next?
Welcome to the forum. :wave: Your filter is doing exactly what you ask.....it is filtering debris from your pool, getting clogged and slowing down the flow, causing your psi to rise.

Most always that is because of a chemical problem with your water. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then prepare to SLAM your pool which I think will ultimately fix the problem. The SLAM article is in Pool School as well.

I backwashed several times for at least 3 minutes prior to changing the sand. After we changed the sand, I backwashed for approx. 3 minutes. Still same result. It is 1hp pump, a pentair sand dollar sd40 filter. not sure of exact size of filter, but we put 3 bags of sand in it.

Often, a deep clean will solve issues without having to change the sand. If your water is cloudy, there is debris, and that will clog it, as mentioned above. How long has it been cloudy and can you see the bottom?

its been cloudy since opening and when changed from green to blue, never been clear. can not see bottom. have brushed and vacuumed. chlorine level is high. other levels are normal except calcium which i will deal with after becomes clear.

I have had the water computer tested at a pool store. my chemical levels are fine. the filter seems to be the problem, but i don't know what to look at or try to fix. the pool store recommended changing the sand, which we did. that has not solved our problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my chemical levels are fine. the filter seems to be the problem,
I disagree.
Your filter is doing exactly what you ask.....it is filtering debris from your pool, getting clogged and slowing down the flow, causing your psi to rise.
You cannot see that debris but it is there (dead algae). Do you disagree with the statement I made and requoted here?

What do you think is wrong with your filter?

Why do you think your chemical levels are fine? I submit that you have algae in your pool and the algae that is being killed is clogging your filter.

Krad, we are trying to assist you in seeing the issue but you seem to be ignoring the evidence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.