Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter High Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter High Pressure

When I start the filter it is around 13-14 psi, after about 30 minutes it jumps to 20. We just changed the sand in the filter, so that is not the problem. The water is blue, but cloudy. Backwashing brings pressure down, but jumps back up after about 30 minutes again. Water is definitely not moving around as much when pressure is higher. Water movement seems normal on recirculate. Gauge goes to 0 when filter is off, so gauge appears to be working fine. Pool is 24ft. round above ground. What should I do next?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter High Pressure

Welcome to TFP!

How long are you back washing? Could take 3 minutes or so to really clean the filter.

How big is the filter and what HP is the pump?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What should I do next?
    Welcome to the forum. Your filter is doing exactly what you ask.....it is filtering debris from your pool, getting clogged and slowing down the flow, causing your psi to rise.

Most always that is because of a chemical problem with your water. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then prepare to SLAM your pool which I think will ultimately fix the problem. The SLAM article is in Pool School as well.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I backwashed several times for at least 3 minutes prior to changing the sand. After we changed the sand, I backwashed for approx. 3 minutes. Still same result. It is 1hp pump, a pentair sand dollar sd40 filter. not sure of exact size of filter, but we put 3 bags of sand in it.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Often, a deep clean will solve issues without having to change the sand. If your water is cloudy, there is debris, and that will clog it, as mentioned above. How long has it been cloudy and can you see the bottom?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

its been cloudy since opening and when changed from green to blue, never been clear. can not see bottom. have brushed and vacuumed. chlorine level is high. other levels are normal except calcium which i will deal with after becomes clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

To properly help you, we need results from a reliable test kit. Did you check out the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain yet? That's the starting point.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have had the water computer tested at a pool store. my chemical levels are fine. the filter seems to be the problem, but i don't know what to look at or try to fix. the pool store recommended changing the sand, which we did. that has not solved our problem.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Cloudy after green usually means all the algae isn't gone. That's the "debris" that's clogging the filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

I know it seems counter-intuitive but the pool store computer testing is so often more unreliable than human testing with a good test kit.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

my chemical levels are fine. the filter seems to be the problem,
    I disagree.
    Your filter is doing exactly what you ask.....it is filtering debris from your pool, getting clogged and slowing down the flow, causing your psi to rise.
    You cannot see that debris but it is there (dead algae). Do you disagree with the statement I made and requoted here?

What do you think is wrong with your filter?

Why do you think your chemical levels are fine? I submit that you have algae in your pool and the algae that is being killed is clogging your filter.

Krad, we are trying to assist you in seeing the issue but you seem to be ignoring the evidence.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Nothing clogs a filter faster than dead algae. If you have an FAS/DPD chlorine test it is very easy to prove or disprove whether there is algae growing in the pool by Performing the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

That test is included in the TF-100 test kit from TFTestkits.net. I have been buying mine there for years, it's a great kit.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach