Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No tile on steps, spa seat and tanning shelf?

1. Back To Top    #1

No tile on steps, spa seat and tanning shelf?

Hi,

I could use some thoughts and advice...

I'm in the process of getting my pool replastered. As part of the work I added a tanning shelf. It's been chipped and is just about ready to tile the new area and plaster.

Previously I had a row of tiles along the outline of each step and the spa seat. The builder let me know they don't do that anymore unless asked - the change in elevation shows enough of to guide you. It will be an extra cost if I'd like to add it back and have it along the step/bench at the end of the tanning shelf.

I'm in my 40's and used to seeing the tile on the steps. I'm worried since I'm using plaster and not pebble tech, that it will look too plain. But maybe it would actually look more modern without it.

Is this the new way of doing things?
    Am I just too old?
    Experience or examples?

Thanks a bunch. I need to decide in the next few days, and it's driving me crazy.

LB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No tile on steps, spa seat and tanning shelf?

I'm putting markers in mine. Just common sense if you ask me . . .

3. Back To Top    #3

I LOVE how it looks! It is like jewels if done right..........AND it makes things safer.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! You'll get impartial answers here - no one has an agenda. And wait a minute ... you're just a kid! (compared to yours truly)

Funny, but my pool builder told me the same thing. After looking around on this forum, I saw plenty of pools with step, bench, and shelf markers. I personally like them and can see the edges much better - especially since I learned from the experts here how to keep my pool water crystal clear! I think in the end, my PB didn't charge extra for the marker tiles.

It still comes down to a personal choice. Check out Pinterest for pool steps with markers and steps without. See what appeals to you. Pinterest will have tons for you to see.

We'd love to see the work on your pool!!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

We did not want them in ours and actually scrapped them off when I got home and saw them. The way they were done was nice, but to us it seemed to date the pool. We have no regrets and it's easy to tell the difference in our pool. I would certainly like to recommend considering spending the money for a pebble finish. There are other options besides PT

brett
    23'x32' Inground Free Form Gunite. 7' Raised spa, Jandy equipment, Aqualink, Stonescape with Abalone shells

6. Back To Top    #6

I am not opting for toe tiles on our steps either. I agree with Rusty, I think they take away from the design some....but we are doing a more modern pool, so I wanted to keep the lines as clean as possible.

7. Back To Top    #7

I didn't want them either. I agree with PB that that's not the direction new construction is going so I think less is more in this case.

13k gallon 10x35 IG salt water pool 8x10 spa Hayward ecostar variable speed pump with remote. Diamond Brite cobalt. Diamond brite watercolors

8. Back To Top    #8

We don't have any, pics in build thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Many do, many don't have them. Probably not at their peak now but it's not like they are avocado appliances either. Hard to dispute they make steps and ledges more visible than without them.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Do any of you that mentioned you don't have tile have a plaster pool, or is everyone's some sort of pebble (like pooldv, and thanks)? I agree 100% in that case.

Looking for more examples now. Some that appear to not have tile (it's hard to find examples):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i...jpg?imgmax=912
    Request Rejected
    http://www.relaxpools.com/images/Gal...roman-pool.jpg

Thoughts?

Looking for more...

11. Back To Top    #11

It seems these days that pool trends change every year, so regardless of what you do it will look "dated" in just a few years. I have been posting on this message board for only about 6 years now, and it is amazing how many things that were trendy as recently as 2010 are rarely seen with pools today. Take the whole beach entry / zero entry fad, it seems like half the pools being built on the build threads here were beach entry pools a few years ago, and now I don't remember the last time I saw one in a build thread.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

13. Back To Top    #13

We are not doing them in our pool, but our tile is sort of a stone look. If we were doing a color tile or the little glass tiles I would love to have them on the steps and ledge!! Either set as little diamonds or the long line of tile along edge of steps. I've seen so many pretty ones like that on this site!
    17K gallon, 18x40, 107 perimeter, 550 sq ft gunite inground pool with raised spa. 3.5 ft. - 5.0 ft. - 4.0 ft depth. Pentair equipment. DE filter. English Walnut travertine paver decking, lueders limestone coping. Wet Edge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure plaster.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have glass tile on my steps and benches and I have Blue Surf PebbleSheen. I think it help defines the edges, which is good when you have old eyes like me!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

15. Back To Top    #15

Personal taste issue for sure, but I've noticed that when the kids are really going for it and the water is really churned up, it's very hard to see the steps and ledges. They've banged a calf or shin here or there, and I cringe when I see them jump in anywhere near the steps (despite cautions, orders and banishment). So if that's important to you, it's something worth considering. Of course any fibreglass pools or drop-in steps don't have much for markers. I'd also say the kids get to know exactly where the underwater stuff is because they really want to win whatever game it is they're playing, and they don't prefer pain. The little ones and great-grandma tend to stick to the corners or shallow ledge when it gets crazy, so all good there. Unmarked steps and ledges are easy to see with mild activity in a sparkly TFPC pool!

I like ours without the markers for the clean look, but I say 'go for your life' - it's your baby and you get to bling it up any way you want!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

16. Back To Top    #16

We put some marker tiles on ours. If I recall correctly, local / state code requires some sort of marker. I think that edge tiles would have been nice too but it was not necessary. With a traditional white plaster pool, I can see where it would really make a difference to add some color difference and interest, with a PebbleSheen pool like ours, don't think it is as necessary.

For our marker tiles, we had them cut the wall tile into smaller triangles. In this picture, you can see them a little on the sunshelf.

Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

17. Back To Top    #17

I thought about it, and had sufficient waterline tiles left to do so, but in the end didn't bother, apologies for the leaf, its windy out

2016-06-03 21.10.58.jpg

Dropbox - 2016-06-03 21.10.58.jpg

edit:How do you get dropbox files to show in the message?
    --
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).
    --

18. Back To Top    #18

If I could go back and add them to my tanning ledge I would. We've had two kids fall in because they didn't notice where the shelf ended.
    ( Under Construction) (May, 11th 2015 start date) 25' x 16' free-form, IG shotcrete, Blue Granite pebble sheen, travertine with stacked stone sheer descent, Hayward variable speed pump,

19. Back To Top    #19

I too will be skipping doing the tile on the tanning ledge, I'm just going to do a two tone pebble with the color sand on my tanning ledge and a different color for the pool so nobody falls off accidentally.
    Remodel Completion 8/22/16. Pool-16x32', Raised Stacked Stone Spa with Waterfall - 9x9', Pool Depth 4-6', Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Intelliflo VF Pump, WhisperFlow 2HP Pump, Pentair 320 Clean and Clear filter, Easytouch 8, Screenlogic 2, (3) Pentair Globrites, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 1.5HP Blower, 4 Sheer Descent Waterfalls, Rico Rock Waterfall.

20. Back To Top    #20

I had always thought they were for extra bling and accents. Didn't know they were so you wouldn't stub your toe or fall off until I found TFP and and read that in some posts. I don't think they are dated and our PB puts them in all their pools. We love them!
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast