Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt Water Generator Just Died!

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Water Generator Just Died!

So.... We've had our pool open and it's been sparkling clean. Now our salt water generator decides to die. We're going to be without it for 5-6 days. That means the pump can't run. Any ideas of how to try to keep the pool from turning into a swamp?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Water Generator Just Died!

Bleach. Doesn't matter if it's made poolside or at some huge factory somewhere and bottled up in plastic jugs. Same stuff.

Use the bleach setting on poolmath and pour it in front of a return jet. Problem solved. Unless the pump died, too. Then break out the brush and keep things mixed.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure what kind of equipment you have since your signature doesn't list your pool & equipment, so I'm assuming this is a pump/SWG combo? No way to bypass it to leave the pump on only? If not, at least slowly add some regular bleach to the water and brush it around to maintain that FC. That should give you a little breathing room until you can get the system running again. You can always add bleach as much as needed, just make sure to manually get it mixed around.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

No pump. Our SWG runs our pump. I have the Aquabot in there but I doubt it's going to do much.

5. Back To Top    #5

Use pool math to determine how much bleach to pour in.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Use pool math to determine how much bleach to pour in.
    How often do you think I'll have to bleach it in the next 5-6 days?

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm new but from what I gather 1/2 gallon per day should get you by. It's a loaded question with no pool info in your sig though.

Brett
    23'x32' Inground Free Form Gunite. 7' Raised spa, Jandy equipment, Aqualink, Stonescape with Abalone shells

8. Back To Top    #8

Why can't the pump run?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    I'm new but from what I gather 1/2 gallon per day should get you by. It's a loaded question with no pool info in your sig though.

Brett
    We have a fiberglass pool. 18 ft wide X 44 ft long, 8ft deep. I'm not sure how many gallons it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Why can't the pump run?
    The pump is powered by our salt water generator. It is dead. We have taken it apart and have to ship it to Florida for repair /rebuild.

10. Back To Top    #10

Usually the swg runs when the pump runs. Just because the swg isn't working doesn't mean the pump can't still work. If you need to replace the section of pipe where the swg usually is I would consider that before letting my pool sit stagnent.

Brett
    23'x32' Inground Free Form Gunite. 7' Raised spa, Jandy equipment, Aqualink, Stonescape with Abalone shells

11. Back To Top    #11

The panel that powers the SWG and pump has been removed. I don't see any way we can get power to the pump.

Fiberglass
    18 X 44, 8ft deep
    Salt water

12. Back To Top    #12

Something you might consider in this unusual situation is renting a submersible pump. That way you could at least keep water and chemical moving until you can find a more permanent solution. It's been done before.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Add bleach to maintain FC at target for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart, and brush daily.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Something you might consider in this unusual situation is renting a submersible pump. That way you could at least keep water and chemical moving until you can find a more permanent solution. It's been done before.
    We need to look into that, for sure. I have our Aquabot in now. I figured some water movement was better than none.

Fiberglass
    18 X 44, 8ft deep
    Salt water

15. Back To Top    #15

Just add enough bleach each day to raise FC to target for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart and then brush the pool to mix it up.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Is it an AutoPilot DIG220?

What's left on the wall?

17. Back To Top    #17

Mod note: Two threads merged. Please only open one thread per problem. Thanks!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I thought I answered that question twice!
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Sorry about that! Wasn't sure where to post it.

Fiberglass
    18 X 44, 8ft deep
    Salt water

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Is it an AutoPilot DIG220?

What's left on the wall?
    Nothing. There's no way to get power to the pump without the SWG.

Fiberglass
    18 X 44, 8ft deep
    Salt water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast