Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Precisely Do You Measure CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Precisely Do You Measure CYA?

I understand that the CYA test is the most 'subjective' of all the tests, but how specifically do you guys measure it? There is a decent range from JUST when you begin to see the black dot disappear, to when the black dot is completely invisible. What is the standard way of measuring? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Precisely Do You Measure CYA?

Great question.
    I swear my eyes and mind play tricks on me.
    Just when I think it is gone my mind tells me it is there.
    May level is probably wrong

- - - Updated - - -

Put your pool and setup info in your signature. It will help in the long run.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

3. Back To Top    #3

Try the standard CYA solution and at 50ppm that is what it should look like. The dot should be completely gone.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Pour to the first line (100) GLANCE in, if you still the dot then pour to the second line and GLANCE in, if you still see the dot...keep on like this until you do NOT see when you GLANCE in. Do NOT stare or you will end up seeing the dot LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

you're right Kim...you will see it if you stare LOL.
    Guess I better check again tomorrow, especially after all this rain!
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.