Rising PH

May 28, 2014
KY
Hi, I've been a BBB customer for a couple of years now and it is going great but I'm battling a rising PH level I can add acid to get it down to 7.6 and it gets it in check, but after 10 days or so I go back to 8.0 plus. I add acid and repeat the process. My TA levels stay pretty constant at 70 and Chlorine levels are easily maintained. My current readings are FC = 4.0, CC = 0, PH = 8.0, TA = 70, CYA = 50. I keep my circulating jets just barely making a wave to force trash over to the skimmer baskets so I don't aeration is a cause??? Do I need to lower TA or lower PH down to 7.2 or so? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve

You've been doing the BBB method.
What's your borate level?
Second a CH reading would help.

With a TA drop from 70-60 with 3/4" of rain means you have some acidic rainfall. so that should offset any aeration increase in pH.
You want to lower pH first, then boost TA, which will raise your pH so you could shoot for a little lower starting pH.
Once your TA is higher you'll have a harder time moving pH

oops, gotcha, I'll check that this evening. Do you think I need to raise my TA?? I really appreciate all of your help!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure about a borate level?? If I raise my TA after dropping my PH will a higher TA make the PH more stable??
Thanks for all of your help!

I'm sorry for jumping in on this thread, but I'm having pretty much the same circumstance in our pool. We've only been in the house with the pool for two months (and this is my first pool), but my PH seems to be always be creeping up. I know my CYA levels are still high (originally was in the 150-200ppm range) but I think all else is in check. Is it normal to be adding 2-3 cups of acid every week to ten days? We haven't had much rain until this week. Could the liquid chlorine also be pushing up my PH levels or does that not have much impact on it?

Here are my test results prior to adding 3 cups of 20 baume MA acid last night

FC = 8.0
CC = 0.5
PH = 8.0
TA = 100
CH = 300
CYA = 90

Thanks
Dennis

I'm sorry for jumping in on this thread, but I'm having pretty much the same circumstance in our pool. We've only been in the house with the pool for two months (and this is my first pool), but my PH seems to be always be creeping up. I know my CYA levels are still high (originally was in the 150-200ppm range) but I think all else is in check. Is it normal to be adding 2-3 cups of acid every week to ten days? We haven't had much rain until this week. Could the liquid chlorine also be pushing up my PH levels or does that not have much impact on it?

Here are my test results prior to adding 3 cups of 20 baume MA acid last night

FC = 8.0
CC = 0.5
PH = 8.0
TA = 100
CH = 300
CYA = 90

Thanks
Dennis

I wish I only added 3 cups every 10 days. I probably add at least hat much daily. I go through a gallon or more a week just to keep it below 7.8.

Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.