Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rising PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Rising PH

Hi, I've been a BBB customer for a couple of years now and it is going great but I'm battling a rising PH level I can add acid to get it down to 7.6 and it gets it in check, but after 10 days or so I go back to 8.0 plus. I add acid and repeat the process. My TA levels stay pretty constant at 70 and Chlorine levels are easily maintained. My current readings are FC = 4.0, CC = 0, PH = 8.0, TA = 70, CYA = 50. I keep my circulating jets just barely making a wave to force trash over to the skimmer baskets so I don't aeration is a cause??? Do I need to lower TA or lower PH down to 7.2 or so? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Steve
    18,311 gal. 17 x 32, vinyl, in-ground, 1/2 hp hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rising PH

Yes, if it rises that much that fast, I'd take it down to 7.2
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Go measure the TA of the refill water.

10 days between acid doses actually sounds pretty good to me. I can only push it a week, less if I top off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the response. I just checked the TA after about 3/4" of rain this afternoon and it is 60 today

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by andersonsa View Post
    Thank you for the response. I just checked the TA after about 3/4" of rain this afternoon and it is 60 today
    I meant the TA of your tap water.

But if your pool is 60 TA after the rain has mixed, that's good. Be aware that a lot of rain can aerate the surface and drive pH up fast.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

You've been doing the BBB method.
    What's your borate level?
    Second a CH reading would help.

With a TA drop from 70-60 with 3/4" of rain means you have some acidic rainfall. so that should offset any aeration increase in pH.
    You want to lower pH first, then boost TA, which will raise your pH so you could shoot for a little lower starting pH.
    Once your TA is higher you'll have a harder time moving pH
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

7. Back To Top    #7

oops, gotcha, I'll check that this evening. Do you think I need to raise my TA?? I really appreciate all of your help!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure about a borate level?? If I raise my TA after dropping my PH will a higher TA make the PH more stable??
    Thanks for all of your help!

8. Back To Top    #8

Borate is 0 if you didn't add it to your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm sorry for jumping in on this thread, but I'm having pretty much the same circumstance in our pool. We've only been in the house with the pool for two months (and this is my first pool), but my PH seems to be always be creeping up. I know my CYA levels are still high (originally was in the 150-200ppm range) but I think all else is in check. Is it normal to be adding 2-3 cups of acid every week to ten days? We haven't had much rain until this week. Could the liquid chlorine also be pushing up my PH levels or does that not have much impact on it?

Here are my test results prior to adding 3 cups of 20 baume MA acid last night

FC = 8.0
    CC = 0.5
    PH = 8.0
    TA = 100
    CH = 300
    CYA = 90

Thanks
    Dennis
    St, Augustine, FL / Covered Screen Enclosure
    1982 IG plaster/pebble - 18K gallon city water, Hayward C900 Cartridge Filter, Single Speed Pump 1.5hp
    Testing with TFT-100, Treated with Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid, and Baking Soda

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dtarantino View Post
    I'm sorry for jumping in on this thread, but I'm having pretty much the same circumstance in our pool. We've only been in the house with the pool for two months (and this is my first pool), but my PH seems to be always be creeping up. I know my CYA levels are still high (originally was in the 150-200ppm range) but I think all else is in check. Is it normal to be adding 2-3 cups of acid every week to ten days? We haven't had much rain until this week. Could the liquid chlorine also be pushing up my PH levels or does that not have much impact on it?

Here are my test results prior to adding 3 cups of 20 baume MA acid last night

FC = 8.0
    CC = 0.5
    PH = 8.0
    TA = 100
    CH = 300
    CYA = 90

Thanks
    Dennis
    I wish I only added 3 cups every 10 days. I probably add at least hat much daily. I go through a gallon or more a week just to keep it below 7.8.

Matt
    19,600 Gallons, 34'x24' Cloud Shape, 3.5'-6'-4', 2 Skimmers, 4 returns, natural gray plaster, Oklahoma Flagstone, NPT Silverstone Ocean Blue waterline and maker tiles, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Pentair EasyTouch 4, Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color Led light, Polaris 280 cleaner, 1.5 ton moss rock waterfall, 785 sq. ft. exposed aggregate deck, and mosaic crab on bench, TF-100 Test Kit